Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sprinting Towards the End

The end is in sight and Dallon is beginning to reflect back on the past two years.  He has worked hard everyday, set and met his goals, and been overly loved and blessed throughout.  He is so grateful to be a missionary in the Lord's service. 

"Wow, it's amazing how fast time is flying.  I really cannot wrap my head around it.  It feels like I just wrote you a couple days ago.  On Tuesday we had changes.  We traveled to Maipu and it was good to see a lot of my old friends in the mission.  It was also somewhat sad that we had to leave other friends behind.  Elder McBride is now a zone leader with Elder Birch.  I was able to see some old families from Rinconada that have the tradition of dropping off the Elders.  It was really cool to see them again.  We took a picture with all the Elders that have served in Rinconada.  A few families were mad at me for not writing, but I seriously have no time to write at all."

"I am so grateful for the families that I have gotten to know on my mission.  I have been thinking a lot of that this week.  It's incredible to me that the Lord has given me almost everything that I could have wanted in the mission.  I realize that in the beginning of the mission, I had a lot of hopes and a few of them I was really unsure if I was going to be able to reach.  The first one was a goal that Elder Opazo inspired me to make.  He told me that if he could get 24 baptisms on his mission, he would feel successful.  I thought that was an interesting goal and cool to have a baptism every month.  I just barely realized that I've already surpassed that goal.  I'm really not the type of person to care about numbers, so I never was counting.  It is cool that the Lord led me to many people whom had already been prepared."

"Another thing that I wanted was to be able to serve in all parts of the mission.  I got to serve in the coast, city and now country.  I've also never had a companion that hasn't wanted to work, which was one of my fears in the beginning.  I have worked hard every single day of my mission.  I've never had problems pulling any of my companions out of bed in order to get out in the field.  Now that I can look back and see where I am on this journey, I can count my many blessings.  It's awesome to see how far I've come.  I think that you are totally right, Mom.  This mission doesn't end.  I'm not worried because my mission will keep moving on.  I'm going to keep setting goals, keep working hard and keep strengthening my testimony, while also trying to help those who I encounter on the path.  The mission is flippin' hard and I won't lie.  There are times when you are blinded into feeling alone or thinking that things might never be better, but with the gift of the Holy Ghost, you have a constant assurance that things are going to be ok.  That life is hard, but that is what makes those few moments of joy, so worth it."

"We have almost a completely new zone.  We have Elders Van Dyke, Felipe, Mercau, Salines, Manzano, and Burk, that all recently started here in Talagante.  They took out the hermanas and brought in two elders.  We are a complete elders zone!  We are going to take out the trash! haha  We are doing really well and I have high hopes for the change."

"Elder Holton and I are doing well.  He hasn't been feeling well, so we might be staying in the pension a little bit more this week.  We have a lot of appointments already planned out, so it shouldn't be too bad.  This last week we taught 30 lessons.  That's a lot!  We placed 5 baptismal dates and 4 of them came to church.  Andrea passed her interview and Elder Holton will be baptizing her this Saturday.  She is really cool and the changes she has made have been incredible to be a part of.  She is truly converted.  The greatest gift of the mission is to see someone's full conversion.  Almost all of my converts are still active and it is awesome!  I love the mission sooooo much!"

"I haven't been cold because everyone takes care of us here, so don't worry. haha  My electric blanket is heavenly.  I've been sleeping like a baby.  I've been eating really well too.  The sisters in the ward fight over giving us lunch.  There is always at least 8 back up plans if one falls through.  We even have a waiting list. haha  I don't think I've had to be hungry my entire mission.  I'm grateful for that."

"I think that I am in the prime of my mission.  I know how to invite the spirit.  I know when someone is ready and I know how to solve a lot of people's doubts.  I can teach so much more clearly and I present it in a way that they can understand.  I won't lie that I'm the best teacher or have the best Spanish or know a lot of the doctrine, but I feel like I am a missionary of Preach My Gospel.  I teach from the heart and I know when they understand.  I've been grateful for the missionary that I've become, even though I'm not a scriptorian or deep doctrine master.  I feel like I present the gospel in a clear and easy way.  I can teach old people or little kids and help them all to receive answers to prayers.  It's been truly satisfying and there are miracles every day.  Sometimes at night, I just lay there thinking, why is the Lord so good to me?  I have loved being able to break down my walls and let people in.  Although, that has helped me to see a lot of my own faults, insecurities and weaknesses.  My greatest treasures are the relationships that I gain in my life.  Relationships are great and you move on through life continuing to make more relationships and learn more lessons from others.  I'm sprinting towards the end.  I won't give it up 'til the last second.  Les amo muchisimo!"

Elder Dallon Smith

Elders who served in Rinconada

Elders Mackie, Smith & Smart

Elders Smith, McBride, Holton, & Ramirez

MTC mates: Elders Smith, Cummock, and Birch