Sunday, July 15, 2012

Active in the Gospel

Dallon is anxiously engaged in doing missionary work.  He hopes to be able to see all his current investigators baptized before he comes home.  He has also developed a desire to do family history and encouraged us all to get involved.  He shares that it is important to our own salvation, as well as, our ancestors.  Dallon also answered some of the questions we asked him. 

"My days are pretty crazy.  They are all the same in schedule.  We wake up at 7:30 and pretend to do exercises. haha  It's pretty pathetic because we are so tired in the mornings and it's cold!  We take an hour to get ready and basically each take 15 minutes to shower.  Then we start our studies with an hour for language, personal, and companionship study.  As a zone leader our studies generally get all mixed up with extra stuff we have to do.  It feels like there is always something that makes us lose our studies.  I don't like that about being a zone leader.  It throws off my groove. haha  We usually leave for an hour and try to contact some people, then we eat lunch, come back to the pension for a half hour to rest and prepare for the day, and then we leave again.  Luckily we have a lot of citas with investigators that are progressing, so we are running around all day sharing the gospel.  We come home around 10:30, plan really fast and start calling the district leaders.  By 11:30 we finally go to sleep.  We wake up the next day and do the same thing, over and over and over, day after day.  It doesn't really feel the same everyday because things are always changing.  Elder Holton and I have been having fun.  We've really been blessed with people to teach."

"What do I snack on?  I eat Doritos with cream cheese all the time. haha  Everyone makes fun of me because I basically survive off chips.  I'm never really hungry and when I want a snack, there is no way I am going to cook something.  I need time to relax and take advantage of it when I can.  I actually found out that I've lost a bunch of weight.  I don't know why because I really do eat a lot and healthy too.  I get exercise and am always working and on the go.  Maybe it's the stress, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.  All the hermanas get mad at us because we don't eat a lot compared to the other missionaries in the past."

"I've actually loved every single one of my companions and I'm grateful for the lessons they have taught me.  I think companions are the hardest thing in the mission.  It sucks being with one person all the time, even if you like the person.  Sometimes the only blessing you secretly want is time to breathe on your own! haha  I think your companions are the ones who really end up changing you and you can learn so much from them."

"Before I come home, the only thing I really want to do is to baptize the people that we are teaching.  I don't want to leave any of them behind and I want to see them through their whole process.  I just want to finish the mission well and love these people to the end.  I've already come to the realization that although I might not be the best missionary, I have done the best I could.  There are a lot of things that I would have done differently if I could start all over again, but I'm grateful for the experience that I've had and for the things I've learned.  I'll be sure to give Jake a lot of tips before his mission.  I wish I could have known some of these things before my mission.  There is so much that I could have taken advantage of to prepare me better."

"This week we had a capacitation about family history.  We are really focusing on that and it's gotten me excited about it.  I love family search and I can't wait to open my own account and get started.  It's so interesting and the programs that the church has are incredible.  There are so many of our ancestors that are waiting for us to do our part.  After the mission, I hope that I'll have time to do family history.  I think it is the coolest thing.  We need to understand how important it is to our salvation as well as theirs.  If we do family history, we will be active in the gospel and not just active in the church.  We are working with it and some of our recent converts are going to go to the temple at the end of the month to be baptized for their ancestors.  Everyone is so excited and the spirit is really strong.  It's going to be awwwwesome!"

"We also had leadership capacitation.  I got to see a lot of my buddies.  I'm not going to lie, but it can be really boring because we talk about the same things every time, but it is always good to see my friends.  Elder Smart is getting trunkie and talked to me the whole time about what we'll do after the mission.  It's crazy to think about!"

"Andrea's baptism was really awesome.  She had changed so much and was so ready.  Her family all came, except for her mother, but they were all really touched, I think.  I'm hoping that we can send the Elders from her ward to teach her family.  That would be Elder Salines and Ramirez.   Elder Holton and I sang, "How Great Thou Art."  We changed it up and sang a verse in English and even had a key change on the last verse.  It sounded great and the spirit was so strong.  I also overcame my fear and played the piano for everyone.  It is a lot harder to play when everyone is singing, but for the first time, I played flawlessly without a single mistake.  I felt so proud of myself. haha  The baptism went great and a lot of investigators came.  I was so happy for Andrea and all the people who got to be a part of it."

"Our next baptism is Manuel, our dear Grandpa.  He and his wife are taking us to their wedding on Thursday morning.  They are so excited and they have their sights set on the temple.  Manuel told us about his past and all the stuff that he went through.  I love older people so much because they are more humble and can accept the gospel because their pride isn't in the way, so they can feel the spirit easier and recognize answers.  Manuel and his wife, for some reason, have a strong connection with me.  They call me their son and Manuel asked me yesterday if I would baptize him.  He wants us to call him "Tata", which is like saying Grandpa.  I hope that my abuelito converts will be great missionaries, even beyond the veil."

"Time is flying by.  All my buddies are getting excited for after the mission.  I'm excited too, but I'm also sad.  I'm just glad I will be working till the end of my mission and have a lot of people to teach.  I feel so blessed.  Elder Holton is a great friend and I'm sure we'll be friends after the mission too.  Anyways, I love you all very much.  Never be afraid to stand up for what you believe and to encourage others to do the same.  If you do this, blessings will come.  I promise because that is what has happened to me.  I miss you all and pray for you every day."

Elder Dallon Smith

Andrea's Baptism Day

Elders with Tity and Andrea


Andrea with Elder Smith

Elder Smith in Talagante, Chile