Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Little Things Count

The week just flew by for Dallon and Elder Gomez.  They are excited to be teaching some new families and placed another baptismal date.  In this letter, Dallon expresses his love for the ward members.  He hasn't been able to send any pictures for a couple weeks due to computer problems. 

"This week we were able to go to the temple, however, Francisca was the only one able to go with us.  I was happy and we had a lot of fun.  The temple was really cool and it is just a completely different experience here.  They make it a lot more personal and spiritual.  I love it.  You can tell they take care of the people that make sacrifices to go to the temple.  Instead of feeling like one of the kids in a line, you feel like every person that you are being baptized for is special and have been waiting just for you.  It was fun doing everything in Spanish.  I did like 150 confirmations!  It was great and I was glad I got to go with my kid, Elder Gomez. ha ha  He is so lucky.  We also had a lot of fun riding in the vans!  Oh good times."

"Yesterday our Ward Mission Leader was released and called to be Elders Quorum President.  I had mentioned to him the day before that I thought that was going to happen.  I am sad, but also glad that he accepted the call.  He will do great.  We also had a birthday party with the Relief Society and they gave us a whole bunch of food.  The sisters here love us.  The Relief Society President is awesome and always does a lot for us."

"The new converts are all incredible.  Estrella has been so kind to us.  She is such a good humble person and I love seeing how her family is being formed into the ward.  She doesn't let little problems bug her and she is always willing to help.  She has a place where she belongs and she always thanks me for giving her life meaning again.  She is awesome!  We went to her house the other day and took some pictures of sheep that they bought. ha ha  I wish I could send them, but this computer is a lame one...blah.  Oh, and Guillermo and Norka wrote me and said how much they loved me and that I will be considered their son forever.  It was good to hear from them and a great support to me.  I also received Debbie's letter!  I showed the picture she sent to a lot of the members and had them find my family in it. ha ha  It was funny because almost everyone said, "Just look for the happy people with big smiles."  I think that is a good thing to be remembered for.  It was a good picture and made me miss you all!"

"We found some new families to teach and were able to place another baptismal date with another young woman named Vanessa.  I am hoping she will do it and be able to be baptized in September.  We also have activated an Elder.  We randomly found him even though I have been looking for him for three months and we made an appointment for Thursday in the chapel.  He has memory issues because he had a tumor removed, but he promised to be there.  Then by some miracle...on Wednesday night, Elder Gomez and I had to go drop off some primary kids at the chapel and we were there about 5 minutes and he showed up thinking it was Thursday. ha ha  Hey at least he came and we were there, so we taught him a message that was really cool about enduring to the end and the Holy Ghost.  He felt the spirit so strong and I saw a 360 degree change in him.  He went from saying he excommunicated himself and then three days later saying he wanted to go and rescue more people that are less active!  He came to sacerdocio the next day and came to church yesterday.  It was really cool and I am hoping we will be able to activate a couple more families, as well as, find more people to be baptized."

"Elder Gomez and I are becoming great friends.  He is a really good missionary and a great support to me.  I like being with him.  Today we went to play soccer and Elder Barrett kicked the ball right in my face and gave me a bloody nose and apparently a black eye...ha ha It was awesome!  We have a lot of fun together when we all get together.  We all bought jerseys that say, "We are Ochagavia" and played soccer against another zone.  It was fun...no goals today though...however, my defense was legit! ha ha"

"Chile is great.  The members are awesome!  They feed us really well and do a lot for us.  I feel close to them.  They all know that I like french fries and have been making me a lot.  They also know that I am tired of rice and so they have been making me deliciousness!  Yesterday, we were fed so much that I almost threw up. ha ha  They are all really kind.  An inactive family also gave me a present and expressed their tearful thanks to me because they felt my love through my actions and diligence.  That was so cool.  It made me feel like even the small things we do count."

"I know the Lord is taking care of me.  I am grateful for having such a great family and I know that no matter what, we will have bright futures and accomplish a lot.  I put all your names in the temple, so I hope you are all looking for blessings.  I think it is kind of cool that your names are in the Santiago Temple.  Thanks for all you do and have a great week!  The work of the Lord will always move forward."

Elder Dallon Smith

The Elders with Youth at the Santiago Temple