Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Comfort in the Atonement

Dallon was given some sad news from home and his letter reflected his feelings and concern for those who are suffering at this time.  It has also been a difficult and emotional week in Chile and he is trying to stay focused on the work and continue forging ahead.  Despite some difficulties, he and Elder Gomez are finding success and are optimistic about their new investigators.

"Oh that is so sad.  I can't believe it!  It is so crazy when things like that happen and we realize just how fragile life really is.  One day everything is fine and the next, we are thrown through a furnace and our faith is tested.  I know that things will be fine and that the Lord has a purpose on the other side of the veil.  She is a really good and talented girl and will be waiting for her family in the Celestial Kingdom.  I am sad for the family and am thankful for all the help they're getting.  Our ward has more unity than we realize."

"This week has been a roller coaster of emotions.  I went on divisions with Elder Wheelright and it was really nice to work in a new sector for the day.  Elder Wheelright is from Utah and it was fun getting to know him.  I think I made him talk more than he's ever talked before. ha ha  It was nice to get my mind off other things.  We also went to a "greenie" meeting on Friday and we learned a lot about the doctrine of Christ and about our purpose as missionaries.  It was like a big review, but it was still good."

"President said that if things don't change here, we're going to be moved out of the sector and placed in wards that want missionaries.  A lot of the members spoke to me a lot and some cried because we might have changes.  It was also strange because I had a dream that I was fighting with someone and I was left alone in a place that I did not recognize and I was lost.  Then a woman with blond hair came and helped me.  Two days later, Hermana Barrueto came and talked to us and I think maybe she is the lady from my dream.  I felt a lot better after that and decided to just work and forget about the problems that we have had.  I have faith that everything is going to clear up and that I and Elder Gomez are going to remain in this sector and have a lot of success together.  We have found a lot of investigators that want to be baptized and are progressing really fast.  I feel like they will all be able to make covenants with the Lord soon, if we continue to be obedient and try harder to be humble and patient.  I am excited for them and am grateful for the blessings of the Lord here."

"The week was long and intense but good.  I'm grateful that the Lord has been blessing me and teaching me to be stronger.  Sometimes I feel a little lost and like I'm just blindly moving forward, but I know that the Lord will take care of me.  I'm grateful that you are all safe and happy.  I love you so so so much.  I hope you enjoy the pics!

Elder Dallon Smith

Hard at work feeding the "sheep"?

The Ochagavia Missionary Team

Elder Smith showing off some skills!

Teammates!  Elder Smith and Elder Gomez