Monday, July 4, 2011

A Memorable Baptism

Dallon was excited to tell us about a special baptism he had this week.  Most of his letter was about the baptism, but he tells us that he is doing great and is learning so much.  He had two splits with Elder Nilson and Elder Silva and attended a zone conference.  His companion, Elder Balling, is finally getting better and they were able to go eat out at McDonald's this week.

"What a week!  I have so much to tell you.  I felt like I could hardly wait to talk to you all.  I have learned so much and I have been reminded once again that this church is true and that we truly are the saints in these latter days. "

"We had a baptism yesterday!  It was an experience that I will never forget and one of the happiest days of my life. Estrella lives really far away from the chapel.  Sacrament meeting started and she didn't show up.  She and Alex were suppose to be baptized and I thought it was strange.  Half way through the meeting, I told Elder Balling that we had to leave right away and go find Estrella.  We left in the middle of a talk, which was a little awkward, but we needed to do it.  When we finally turned onto the street, I saw her with the stroller and all her kids walking towards the church.  She laughed when she saw us and was so happy to see us.  She felt special that we went to find her.  We started talking to her and she asked if she could still be baptized today.  I told her of course, but felt that she was still a little hesitant.  We got to church and the mission leader gave a lesson that focused on baptism.  She felt the spirit and wanted to exercise her faith and be baptized.  The mission leader asked her who she would like to baptize her and she said the missionaries.  Then she was asked which one and she answered by touching my arm.  I felt sooooo... I can't explain it...warm I guess.  It was like I was being prepared for this as if I already knew that one day I would know her.  Elder Balling would baptize her son Alex.  It was one of the most spiritual experiences that I have had.  Estrella wanted it to happen so bad and knew that this was the true church.  She was first to be baptized and I will never be able to forget her face.  Everything went smoothly and the spirit was so strong.  I was a little nervous because I had never really done this with an adult and with someone who has a difficult time being submerged in water.  Estrella's face paralysis makes it so that she can't close her eyes or mouth.  She went under with her eyes open and... I just wish you all could have seen it.  It was something that I can't describe.  It was so incredible.  The ward was so supportive and did everything for them.  A sister dried Estrella's hair and gave her a sweater.  It was cool to see their love.  Another member donated a refreshment, which is rare here in Chile and someone else got a taxi for them to all ride home.  They were all so happy!  "

"Last night we passed by Estrella's house to see how they were doing and to give them a gift of a full set of scriptures and a hymn book.  The biggest lesson I learned this week is the strength of women.  I have no idea how Estrella defeated all odds to be baptized.  I truly would number her among the faithful and valiant pioneer women.  I have not seen such faith or strength in someone.  Estrella is someone I will never be able to forget.  She is humble and intelligent.  I want this to be the beginning of something wonderful for her and not something that will give her more trials and afflictions.  I have learned so much and am so grateful for her example ."
 

"Francisca and Marilia had their baptismal interviews and are going to be baptized next Sunday.  We are all so excited for them and they have become such good friends of mine.  They love to talk about Disney stuff and amusement parks. ha ha  Their testimonies are firm and they know exactly what they want.  I am so happy for them and can't wait for next Sunday!  "

"This week I had divisions with Elder Nilson from Hayley, Idaho and Elder Silva from Chile.  Two in one week! ha ha  It was really fun and I got a lot of work done here in my sector.  We did have a conference .  It always makes me feel horrible as a missionary.  I have so much that I can improve on.  That's funny what you told me, Mom.  Our ward here is doing Zumba for an activity every Friday night! ha ha  "

"Anyways, that's about it.  I love you all so much and I have learned so much.  The photos are of the baptism and when we went to eat at McDonald's last p-day.  I know my hair is long... ha ha  I had to put a hair cut on the back burner for Elder Balling.  I'm getting it cut after I leave today. ha ha  Be happy and thanks for everything!  "

Elder Dallon Smith

Elder Smith with Estrella and her children.

Estrella and Alex's baptism day with Elders Smith and Balling.

It looks like Elder Smith is really hungry.  Check out his order (: