Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

The work is back in full swing and Dallon is so grateful.  He says that there is a lot of work that goes into preparing for baptisms and that he and Elder Balling have been really busy.  He also had a 3 zone BBQ that the mission president attended and told him that his hair was reeaally long.  Hopefully, now that his companion is better, he will be able to get it cut.  A fun fact that he shared is that he loves warm milk and sugar that the investigators often serve him. 

"We are going to have three baptisms next week!  I am so excited for them and am glad for the friendships we share.  They are great!  I'm sending some pics we took with them.  Marilia, the youngest, asked me to baptize her.  Elder Balling will do Francisca and, our mission leader, Hmo Barrueto will do Leontina.  I am glad that somehow we were able to make baptismal tunicas in 2 days.  Thank you to members who give service. "

"I have felt the love of the Lord so strongly this last week.  I can hardly express it.  Hma Barreuto (the Relief Society Pres.) and Hma Juanita gifted me a beautiful quilt that they crocheted.  It meant so much to me because I have seen them working on blankets and it takes them months to finish one.  Last year they only made 5 and they kept one for a special occasion.  They gave it to me and told me that they loved me and didn't want me to be cold.  I have never received a gift like this in my life.  They told me it was stitched with love.  I was speechless and there were just no words to say.  I just sat there in shock and tried to tell them that it was too much.  They told me to accept it and to remember them.  The blanket is incredible and really is a work of art.  I felt so loved and have no idea how I can adequately thank them. "

"I also got your two packages!  The blanket you sent is the softest thing I have felt and I use it every morning and night.  I don't deserve having such an incredible family.  So now I have two of the best gifts ever!  I slept in heaven this week!  The sheets are perfect and the goodies were sooooo good! ha ha  You make me feel guilty for having so many blessings.  The only thing I think I need more of is sweats.  I had to wash mine last week, so I had to wear shorts and it rained a lot.  It was so cold!  Everyone says we have the coldest pension in Chile.  However, Elder Balling fixed the shower so it is steaming hot.  I love it! ha ha "

"A cool thing that happened yesterday is that I gave the gift of the Holy Ghost to Estrella and Alexander.  They both asked me and I was really nervous.  It was hard because I had to do it in Sacrament meeting and I had never done that before.  I did great after the third time that I attempted to pronounce their full names. ha ha  They were so grateful.  Estrella always takes my hand and looks at me so sincerely when she says thank you.  Sometimes she'll just pat me on the head. ha ha  She is truly a wonderful lady. "

"In view of everything that has happened, I have found so much love and faith here.  My companion and I are so different, but we have become friends.  I am grateful that I am able to serve with him.  The Lord is blessing us so much and I feel overwhelmed as to how to thank everyone.  Just saying thank you doesn't seem enough.  I am grateful for the people who pray for me and think of me.  The power of prayer is real.  I know this church is true with all my being.  I know I am far from perfect, but I know that the Lord helps me do my best.  I don't always understand and many days it is hard and I can get negative, but it is those small moments of complete happiness that makes every day and every footstep worth it.  I am so grateful for the pioneers and Joseph Smith.  I have been remembering just what it means to be a Saint.  We can suffer all things and still be happy.  We can feel lonely and never be alone. "

Elder Dallon Smith

The Elders with Marilia and Francisca

A special quilt for Elder Smith