Monday, July 11, 2011

Baptisms and Barbeques

This week Dallon talks about the highs and lows of missionary work.  He also tells us that it is so cold that we would get a good laugh watching the elders try to do their morning exercises wrapped up in blankets.  He says he might look back one day and laugh about it, but right now it is more like suffering.  He is having a wonderful experience and his letter talks about some of them. 

"Yes, we had baptisms!  Whoo hooo!  The girls were all able to be baptized and it all went really well and smooth.  I am so happy for them.  It was a little crazy making sure everyone made it there and that there wasn't any extra stuff to take care of.  It was really cool because we got to have Francisca and Marilia's mom come and Leontina's father was also there.  It all went by so fast and nice and even the temperature of the font was perfect.  It was great!  Marilia gave me a high five before and after her baptism. ha ha  They are all so fun.  I know that they will be strong examples for eachother forever.  I am so grateful for their testimonies and their strength.  Also, Elder Balling and I sang at the baptism.  We sang, "I Need Thee Every Hour".  All the members were surprised that we could sing. ha ha  Leontina started crying and it was sad, but the spirit was really strong.  Then the girls bore their testimonies and it was over.  It was awesome.  Afterward, we were invited to a barbeque which was really fun.  All in all, my soul is extremely happy because the Lord let me share the gospel with them.  It is so incredible!"

"This week we have been focusing on fortifying the members.  I bought the dvd, "Only a Stonecutter", and have been sharing it with the families.  I love that movie so much and we have been having a lot of success with it.  It made me miss my dad, though. ha ha  I'm not sure why?"

"It has been really hard to find people to teach this week because of the American Cup.  Chile has been doing quite well, which has meant that no one will let us in and there are a lot of drunks out.  But at least it is better than when they lose because then there are more drunks out. ha ha  This week we are going to have to work really hard to find new investigators.  We don't have anyone to teach anymore because they all got baptized! ha ha"

"In church yesterday, Hmo Soto asked me to be a part of his daughter's confirmation.  It was cool that he picked me and it was totally unexpected.  He asked me and a returned missionary to participate and he called us out over the pulpit.  Also, a family from Barrancas sent me a letter this week that told me that they have started going back to church and wanted to thank me because I had really made the difference.  That made me feel so good.  I love the families down here."

"Friday was the hard part of the week.  Elder Nilson had divisions and when he was with us doing exercises, we started talking and wasted a lot of time.  So Elder Balling got mad at me and I had to get ready really fast.  Then we went to teach English classes, but no one had keys, so we had to teach in an investigator's home.  Then some of the investigators we have told us that they didn't want to listen to us anymore and tried to give us back the Book of Mormon.  Elder Balling and I were having a tough day getting along and that night a kid hit me with a rock.  It was a horrible day, but everything is better now.  We have entrevistas this week.  I'm just taking everything day by day.  I don't know what is going to happen next change.  I just try to be obedient, follow the spirit, and try not to get discouraged."

"Anyways, I love you all!  I hope you like the pictures.  The little girl wearing gray, in the picture with the bunny, will be in the Liahona next month.  I thought that was kind of cool.  The bunny's name is Moroni. ha ha  He is awesome!  The other two girls are Leontina's daughters.  I love them to death!  Their names are Martina and Sophia."

Elder Dallon Smith

Francisca, Marilia and Leontina's Baptism Day

The celebration begins!

Meet Moroni the bunny

Elder Smith with Martina and Sophia