Monday, July 18, 2011

Training!

It was exciting for us to hear from Dallon this week.  He tells us that he is being made a trainer and will have a new companion tomorrow.  He is excited and humbled by the responsibility he's being given.  He also gets to attend the Santiago temple for the first time. 

"First of all, we had interviews with the Mission President.  It was really great.  He always makes me feel so much better and helps me find my base again.  Elder Balling went first and then I did.  I wasn't sure of what I was going to tell President or what he was going to ask me.  He began by telling me thank you for all the things that I had done with Elder Balling.  I don't know why but it really threw me off and I got all choked up.  It was hard for me to get the words out, but I got through it.  We talked about the ward and all the things that were going on.  After that the President told me that he wanted me training this next change and that he was going to keep me here.  He said that he received revelation and that the Lord needed me training.  I responded by saying that if the Lord said I could do it than I could.  He said he knew I was ready and that I have been ready for a long time.  I was a little surprised and the whole interview was such a mix of emotions for me that when I came out, I felt a little light headed.  President King is really cool.  Last night he called to officially notify me.  I get to go to the temple tomorrow!!  I'm also pretty sure that I will be training a latino companion.  We have 12 latinos and 3 gringos coming in.  We'll see what happens.  I'm excited and nervous and anxious...ha ha a little of everything.  Elder McDougal got changes too, so it looks like Elder Belmar and I will be holding down the pension.  I can't believe I'm going from jr. companion to training.  I'm going to really need your prayers this week! ha ha"

"Another fun thing that happened is Elder Opazo sent me a trophy! ha ha  It was so random, yet so thoughtful of him.  It is a helm of a ship or steering wheel and it has a lighter on the bottom that comes through a skeleton head.  When you push the button to make the fire come out, it plays the Titanic song that I attempted to teach Elder Opazo how to play on the piano. ha ha  My whole zone was going crazy and thought it was so cool.  He also had my name engraved on it.  It was really great of him to do that for me."

"We had lots of people to visit and a lot of time to go contacting.  My poor greenie is going to be knocking doors all day. ha ha  I know I gotta be super good, so that he can have a great mission.  I also know the Lord will help me.  I was asked to confirm Marilia, a grandpa in the ward asked me to give him a blessing, and I blessed the sacrament in someone's home.  I truly felt the priesthood power a lot that day.  I also gave a talk in sacrament meeting about forgiveness and shared a story by Boyd K. Packer about, "John Leave it Alone".  I talked a little about Grandma Capps.  She is such a great example and the ward loved it.  I also had splits with Brother Arroyo, the 1st counselor.  We went to talk to the High Priest leader and it was awesome.  He told me that he was grateful for the work that I was doing and he wants to do splits with me sometime too.  I am glad to be gaining the trust of the people and am beginning to do the Lord's work with authority.  I think we'll be able to accomplish much here now that things are starting to move.  We really want to get the home teachers out and working."

"Last night Chile lost to Uruguay in the American Copa, so there were a lot of crazy people out on the streets that were mad.  Lots of people were swearing at us and saying that they were going to beat us up.  It was a little intense and we had to go to a safe zone and home a little early.  But Estrella and Francisco made a barbeque for us that was delicious!"

"Anyways, I love you all and am excited to start something new.  Also, I get to go to the temple tomorrow!!  Yayaaaaa finally!!  Santiago temple, here I come!!  It's going to be awesome!!  I hope you are all happy."

Elder Dallon Smith

The Ochagavia Zone symbol

Mail this week

Elder Smith cleaning mold off the shower.

Elder "Barney" Smith