Monday, May 16, 2011

A Mother's Day Skype

We were able to talk to Dallon via Skype for a whole hour on Mother's Day.  It was the best part of the day.  He looked happy and healthy.  In his sector there aren't a lot of good computers, so he called us from a member's store.  He is still getting familiar with a new area and companion, and is busy finding investigators to teach.  He tells us that it has been quite a change for him. 


"It was so fun to see you all!  I always have so much more animo after seeing you and remembering all the blessings that I have in my life.  Last night after we talked we were walking out in the night without good direction.  All of a sudden, Elder Balling said that maybe we should just contact these apartments.  We went up to one but it was locked, so we went to the next and strangely the gate wasn't closed all the way and we were able to enter.  We knocked on the first door and a woman answered and let us in.  She told us that she was a member 6 years ago but inactive because of problems with people.  She said that she had felt the desire to return recently.  We told her about how we were strangely led to her door and she said it was an answer to a prayer.  I thought that was pretty cool."

"Leaving my last pension was sad.  Elder Tialavea hid a present in my bag that I didn't know about until I got here.  It was a tie that said, "I love ya bro".  He is such a stud and I miss the fun times.  He is now training a Poly from the states and I know they're going to have fun together.  My pension now is really big and all on one floor.  Everything is cold because the sun never touches it.  We all sleep in one room together.  It is good unless we stay up talking too long.  It is fun living with two other Elders and I think it is a blessing for the situation that I am in now."

"The members are all really cool.  Now that I can speak the language, it is a lot easier to get to know them faster.  The mission leader's family is named Barrueto.  They have always been the missionary favorite home and I find us spending a little too much time there.  Hermano Barrueto is really cool and helps a ton with the mission work.  He fulfills his calling to the max and always leaves with us and sacrifices a lot to be with us.  We see his family almost every day.  My favorite family is the Aroyos.  They are firm in the faith and love the gospel.  They just do their calling and don't get too involved in gossip.  There is also a family called Soto.  They haven't really seemed to like the missionaries, but they seem to really like me.  I was confident in my testimony and told the ward that if they are not going to be at church, then we are going to be in their houses.  I also said that even though Elder Balling and I are super skinny, we actually have big hearts.  They all got a kick out of that.  I feel like we are gaining more and more trust with the families."

"The two baptisms that we have are a really interesting family.  The father was a member and we are reactivating him.  The mom really wants to be baptized, but every time we go to teach her, she breast feeds her 2 year old.  It's sorta awkward. ha ha  She really has a good heart and intentions though.  Their son is 12 and is so smart and knows a lot about religions.  They all came to church yesterday, so I am really hoping they will stay strong and be baptized on the 29th.  We'll do all we can to help them out."

"Anyways I think that's about it.  I hope you had a great Mother's Day, Mom!  All the Chileans came up to me after we talked and asked about my family.  They were all too shy to say hello.  They gave us drinks afterwards and were a little surprised and touched by my tears.  I felt embarrassed.  I'm not afraid to feel things deeply, but it sucks being a baby in public. ha ha  Elder Balling made fun of me.  Sometimes I wonder if I just love you all too much.  Have a great week.  You're in my heart and prayers.

Elder Dallon Smith