Monday, May 16, 2011

Push Forward with Faith

This was a difficult week for Dallon.  He and Elder Balling worked hard and were able to meet their mission goals.  They are working in a tough area where discouragement is always lurking around the corner.  Dallon is trying to keep his spirits up and stay positive.

"This week was full of wooorrrk!  Every day we were out contacting and walking.  We met almost all of our missionary goals and I know that the Lord helped me a lot.  It is starting to get cold here, so we have been giving a lot of blessings of health.  The nights are starting sooner, which makes it harder to be outside in our scary sector.  We are suppose to do 77 contacts every week and have at least 8 new investigators.  Last night we were way past 77 at 84 contacts, and we only had 5 investigators.  I was determined to get our goal.  We just kept knocking.  Elder Balling was just about ready to give up right when someone let us in.  Out of nowhere, we got 3 new investigators and met our goal!  Cool right?  It was definitely an answer to a prayer.  Afterwards, we went to a members home and they gave us ecco and french fries.  It was delicious!"

"Today we have been at the hospital all day.  Elder Balling's wrist has been bugging him.  It already feels like it has been a long day.  If you think that getting medical attention in the states is hard, try doing it in Spanish with a whole new system similar to the DMV.  It is not fun.  However, I do really like the hospital here.  It is super nice and I wouldn't mind working here in the future. ha ha  Just a little note to myself.  Anyways, we have to go back tomorrow and I am already not looking forward to it."

"This Sunday, we were asked to give talks in Sacrament meeting.  For some reason, they assigned me as the concluding speaker.  I wasn't expecting that.  Elder Balling spoke on the 10 things you find in happy people along with scripture references.  I spoke about love and charity.  I was really hard on the ward.  The spirit was telling me to invite the members to have more love within the ward.  I told them not to judge one another and that we never can progress if we are constantly criticizing.  It was really to the point and at the end I said that I didn't mean to be so blunt.  I was afraid the ward wasn't going to like me very much.  When the meeting ended, I was surprised that a lot of people told me thanks.  In other lessons throughout the day, they talked a lot about the things that I had shared.  I know the Lord wanted me to say what I did, but it was still hard being the meaner of the two missionaries.  This next week I will have to give a lesson for district meeting.  I've been assigned to speak about following the promptings of the spirit.  I hope that I'll do well."

"I am really close to the zone leaders, Elders DeLong and Hollister.  Elder DeLong is going home this change and that makes me sad.  He is a great friend and stud missionary.  Do you remember Hermano Hollister from the MTC?  Elder Hollister is his nephew and I guess they were talking a lot about me on Skype last week.  They are really cool.  I find relief every week by going to zone meeting and hanging with DeLong, Hollister and Smart.  Although the week was a little rough, the Lord continues to bless me a lot.  He sent people to accept us and help us meet almost every one of our goals.  He blessed me with more patience and gave me good rest.  I was able to say things in Spanish and felt the spirit a lot.  I know the Lord is walking beside me and for that reason I'm not sad or afraid.  I know that everything is going to work out in the Lord's time.  Thanks for your love and support.  I know that I can feel your prayers for me.  Rest assured that I will continue to "push forward with faith".  I love you.

Elder Dallon Smith