Monday, May 2, 2011

Changes to Diagonal Ochagavia!

We were so anxious to hear about where Dallon ended up this change.  He has been there a week already and had lots to tell us.  His spirits are good and his new area is definitely interesting, but it makes his Mom a little nervous for him.  We are all so excited to be able to see and talk to him on Sunday for Mother's Day.  The church has approved Skype for all missions.  What a wonderful time to be a missionary! 

"I feel like so much has happened and can't believe that it's only been a week.  I guess changes make you feel like that.  Despididos in Barrancas was really sad.  I was surprised about how much I meant to people and really how much they meant to me.  I didn't expect to cry, but when I was with Guillermo and Norka, I just felt such gratitude that the Lord let me be a part of their journey.  It was such a weird feeling that I have never felt before.  I gave them the temple calendar and Ensign and they were really happy.  They told me that they will do all that they can to be sealed in the temple.  I pray that they will endure to the end and find true happiness.  Anyways, they fed us dinner and gave me a hot water pouch thing.  This one is electric and you don't have to change the water.  I love it!  They knew that I was always freezing and told me that every time I used it, I had to remember my Chilean Momma.  When I said goodbye, they just started crying.  I knew that Norka would, but when Guillermo did, it was really intense.  I hate doing despididos.  We visited five other families as well and I will always remember that I have their support and that I made a difference in Barrancas."

"Ok, so now onto changes.  I got to see Elder Opazo and it was fun to talk with him about everything that had happened in the sector.  Elder Tialavea is training another Polynesian. ha ha  They are going to have so much fun!  Elder T was really sad when I was packing and told me thanks and things and gave me a tie.  I'm really going to miss that guy.  I am in Diagonal Ochagavia.  I was hanging out with Elder Hale at changes and he totally predicted where I was going and who my companion would be.  I am in gangster town!  It is freaky legit!  It is a huge drug trading neighborhood and I live in the most gangster area.  My companion is Elder Balling from Centerville, Utah.  He has a year and a half in the mission.  He is a genuine good person with a big heart and has a strong desire to work.  He makes me laugh and I love that he is such a humble person.  I respect him for his character.  I will do all I can to support him and to gain the support of the ward.  I can already tell the ward likes me.  I came in with a lot of confidence and have just been focusing on being positive and doing the best I can.  I don't really know why I am here yet, but I know that the Lord has a plan for me.  The ward also is in love with the fact that I can play the piano.  They are going to have me teach piano lessons, as well as, accompany a hymn for Mother's Day.  They are so excited and I am happy that my ability to play will help us gain more trust from the ward.  This change might be a bit hard.  We have been walking all over and I can hardly believe how big this sector is.  I know that I will develop more love, patience and humility this change.  I know the Lord is walking with me and I need to just do my best and take it one day at a time."

"One funny thing that happened was on my second day here.  My sector had a black out.  We actually don't live in the sector, but live in another sector with another companionship, Elder McDougal and Elder Oyarzun.  I have met them before and we are all good friends.  Anyways, this black out freaked Elder Balling and he turned to me and became all stealth mode. ha ha  He says, "Shut up, walk fast, don't make a noise or bring attention to us, and only speak in Spanish."  It was intense and we were like running toward our pension.  It was really dramatic and maybe a bit overboard, but it still freaked me out! ha ha  One day we saw a fifteen year old kid beat up some drunk guy.  The drunk fell on the street and Elder Balling was rushing over to save him, but I stopped him because I didn't want us to get in the middle of it.  We have also seen a lot of problems with people on drugs.  It makes me a little nervous sometimes.  It is a super poor part of Santiago.  At times I don't really feel safe, especially since we are two gringos with green and blue eyes walking together.  It's just a whole new experience, but I know that everything's going to be just fine."

"My zone is so fun!  I am with Elders DeLong and Smart again!  This is going to be a fun change.  Elder Smart is one of my closest friends and he is a stud legit.  He is from Idaho and is really down to earth.  He is always really nice and makes me laugh.  He is a good example too.  Some of the Elders in my zone are: Hollister, Steinagle, Nilson, Champion, Bateman, Oyarzun, McDougal, Gomez, Mackie, and a few others."

"Now about Mother's Day!!  I'll get to see you all again!  Well hopefully, because this part of Santiago doesn't have the best internet places.  I'll do my best to find a Skype computer.  Our luck is looking pretty grim right now, but we will prevail! ha ha  I think that I will be calling Sunday at 7:00pm...so like 4:00pm your time.  I hope that you will all be there!  The only problem is Elder Balling's family might not be home, so we might have to call on Monday.  Just be prepared.  I'm excited to hear your voices and see your faces again!"

"It is also getting really cold here and I am freeeezzzzing!  I really need some warm stuff.  Well, that is about it.  My comp and I are doing just fine and I know the Lord will be with us.  We are being obedient and I know that we will be able to complete the work that we need to do here.  I hope that you will remember us in your prayers and be happy.  I love you so much and will talk to you soon!

Elder Dallon Smith