Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Easter!

Dallon is preparing for changes.  He is spending the day visiting members and investigators to say his good-byes.  He has loved serving in Barrancas and shared that he will miss many people.  It was a busy week for Elders Tialavea and Smith, with 26 lessons!  They have been working so hard and had some fun times too.

"I hope that you all enjoyed Easter!  It was really fun here in Chile.  The Easter program was great but not a lot of people attended.  I was the only missionary asked to sing in the member choir which was kind of cool.  We sang three hymns and watched a couple Easter videos on Mormon Messages.  I'm surprised that not a lot of people went to church.  However, Guillermo and Norka both came which made me happy.  Afterwards, they fed us french fries, steak and carmelized onions.  Oh, it was so good!  I made brownies for them and they lovvveeed it!  They knew that we were going to find out about changes yesterday, so they are going to be sad today.  I am sad that I have to do despididos or good-byes today.  I know the Lord has a plan and I am going to be fine.  Also, Luis and Ingrid called us really late on Saturday night and asked us to give their son a blessing.  I was suprised that they asked me to do it.  Ingrid said that as I gave the blessing, she felt her son regain all of his heat, so that was good.  We are going to go see how their son is doing tonight when I give my good-byes."

"We did a service project this week of finding a dog house for a member of the ward who is blind.  His name is Ivan Duran and Elder Opazo and I had helped to reactivate him.  Another member that we have been working with, had a gigantic dog house that he gave to us.  Elder T and I had to haul this freakin heavy house down the streets of Barrancas!  It was so heavy and we had to go so far away!  Oh man, I would just start busting up because we looked like crazies carrying this house of doom.  By some miracle, I think the angels helped me carry my end, we got it to Ivan's house.  We left it in his front yard.  When he got home later that night, he felt around it and realized that it didn't have a roof, so he gave it away!!  Oh my, we couldn't believe it!!  We were going to bring the roof later! ha ha"

"I also had divisions with Elder Perrusquia.  He is so funny and from Mexico.  He is such a stud and we were laughing practically the whole day.  At one point we saw a karate class and there was a kid that was soooo uncoordinated that we couldn't stop laughing about it the whole night!   I wish you could have seen it.  I know that we shouldn't make fun of people.., but really you would have laughed too.  It was really fun and we worked together in Barrancas."

"One thing that I haven't told you is that Elder T and I have pet spiders that we have been keeping on the back patio.  The spiders here are really big!  It's funny because we will go catch flies and put them in their webs.  Oh man, it is a hoot!  One morning I got into the shower and there was a tarantula in there!!  I was so freakin scared and grabbed the shower hose and was squirting at it.  After a long tiresome battle, I eventually defeated the beast and got it down the drain.  The other day Elder T found a huge one in his bag.  Maybe...we shouldn't play with spiders.  The spiders here are huge and look like tarantulas, but they are actually called chicken spiders.  I am going to miss feeding them with Elder T every day! ha ha"

"It was a good week and I am a little nervous and excited for everything that is going to happen.  I hope the Lord and his angels will walk beside me and that everything will work out.  I pray that he will make me stronger and I'll be able to reach my full potential as a missionary.  My testimony is growing and I know that Joseph Smith truly saw God, the Father, and Jesus Christ.  This gospel is the only way that we can be saved.  One day this week when we were doing a contact, a man thought that we were still in the apostacy.  We testified to him of the restoration.  He felt the spirit really strong right there on the street.  He told us he could see a light in our eyes and that was what he wanted to have.  He said that he wanted to shine like us.  It is our responsibility to share this light at all times.  The Lord will use us if we prepare ourselves to do as he asks.  I know that Christ suffered for our sins and knows us intimately.  He loves us so much and only wants us to be happy.  I know that through the atonement of Jesus Christ, we can be made clean and not have any guilt.  Nobody wants to feel that burden.  We are so lucky that we can be free of the chains of sin.  He is always listening.  All we have to do is speak with our Heavenly Father and he will always answer us.  I know that our family will be together forever because of what Christ did for us.  I am so glad that the Lord let our family have the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It truly is our greatest blessing.  That is why we have the Holy Ghost...to help us hold to the iron rod and endure to the end.  We're going to make it!  Don't forget our family motto..."Together in the Temple!"  I love you all so much.  I am grateful for the opportunity I have to remember Jesus Christ this Easter.  It means so much.  Have a great week and be happy!"

Elder Dallon Smith