Saturday, April 23, 2011

Small Things make a Difference

Our family was out of town for Spring Break, so we weren't able to post Dallon's letter on time.  He continues to be happy to be a missionary and tells us that he is learning so much.  This past week was rainy and wet, but the work continued onward.  Dallon wishes everyone a Happy Easter!  He asked us to send a warm soft blanket and some sweats, because the weather is beginning to get cold.  We are told that most homes in Chile do not have heaters.

"I went to Santiago again to do my carnet (visa).  I hung out with all of my old buddies.  It was a lot of fun, but was a really long day.  I got to eat at a McDonalds in Chile for the first time! ha ha  No matter where you are in the world, McDonalds always feels like home.  We also had a conference in Melipilla, where President King gave us an Easter dinner!  It was delicious!  We talked a lot about the Holy Ghost and how it is the most important thing that we can have in this life.  We need to teach about the Holy Ghost in every principle of the gosple.  It is cool that we have the Holy Ghost to help us in every aspect of our lives.  People need to realize that they want and need this constant companion to help them reach their ultimate goal, which is eternal life.  It was a great conference, however Elder T and I were dead tired because we had a ton of bus rides and so forth.  We are both good now and played soccer this morning and killed it!  Whoo hoo!"

"Elder T told me this week that he had been waiting for a companion like me that loved the work and the people.  He said he felt comfortable with me and didn't often feel that with his companions and other people.  He said that he wanted to be friends for life.  He is really so cool.  Even when we are with other missionaries, he will still stick by me.  I'm glad that I got to be his companion."

"Today I got my hair cut and then the head choir guy of the stake called.  He wants me to be a part of the choir program on Friday.  I thought it was cool that he thought of me and is trying to pull strings, so that I can be there.  He knows that I was in High School Musical and probably thinks I am really something.  It's funny because all the missionaries tease me when we play soccer and say things like, "He must have learned that from High School Musical! ha ha  Oh geeze!"

"Faith is something that I have been trying to gain more of.  Out here in the mission, it can beat you up sometimes.  It gets hard and you start to question if you really have all that it takes to be a good missionary.  It is only through faith that we find the hope that everything is going to be ok and work out for our good.  If you ever have time you should read the Preach the Gosple section about the attributes of Christ.  It is really good.  I want to have more faith and just trust that the Lord knows and loves me.  I know that he wants what is best for me, but sometimes I have to humble myself and remember that.  A little miracle was we found someone who had taken the lessons before, but was never baptized because he couldn't stop smoking.  Elder T and I visited him and placed another baptismal date.  We're going to see if we can help him out.  He already has a testimony of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith.  He is even sharing them with other people.  We are going to depend on the Holy Ghost to help him quit smoking and we will do all that we can to help him find the light of Christ through baptism and conversion.  The light of Christ is something that we should always be seeking after because that is what gives us true happiness.  I love being a missionary."

"This past week it poured and poured for two days.  I had to walk around with an umbrella and everything!  We found a lot of people to teach and have a couple families that are reading the Book of Mormon together.  I love rainy days.  Anyways I hope that you are all doing really well and that you are always looking for ways to serve others.  It is the small things we do that make a difference."

Elder Dallon Smith