Thursday, May 17, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

Dallon called us on Skype at 5:00 on Mother's Day.  It was a special treat to be able to talk to him and see his face.  He is so happy.  While we were talking he had to take a phone call and we were able to hear him speak fluent Spanish.  It was incredible and we were all amazed.  He says that he thinks in Spanish now and has to work to remember the English words.  We also got to say "hi" to his new companion, Elder Holton, from good ol' Sandy, Utah.  They have worked together and been friends throughout the mission and are now companions.  We talked to Dallon until the power went out in the cafe.  There is never a dull moment.

"Well, there isn't much to say after yesterday.  I would have liked to say my good-byes, but I guess it's better if we start saying our hellos.  It was weird seeing you all and knowing that I would be with you shortly.  I know it will be so good to be with you and have you close, but it also makes me grateful that I'm not there right now.  I don't want to go home.  I guess I like the mission better than the world I came from."

"Do you really think that I talk fast?  I know I talk fast in Spanish, but I don't feel like I talk much faster in English.  When you are talking I feel like the conversation is moving slower.  Here in Chile, we talk fast and often over the top of eachother. haha"

"The Barrueto family came to visit me on Mother's Day.  Hermana Barrueto started talking to the other hermanas in my ward and told them that I looked skinnier and all the sisters were like, "That's it!  We knew he wasn't eating a lot." haha  She also made me promise to start dressing warmer.  There is a family here that knew them from a long time ago and when they saw eachother in the chapel, they just started crying.  The man here in Talagante, hugged me and said, "Thank you so much!  You don't know what you have done."  I guess he was their Bishop 15 years ago when they still were not married.  Anyways the Barrueto's are going to come stay overnight with this family some time later in the month.  They want to do a noche de hogar with me. haha  It's fun."

"This week Estefania is going to be baptized, so that will be cool.  From marriage to baptism.  Ya baby!  I'm excited.  This week I will also have to go do my carnet and have a zone conference with a couple other zones.  I saw Elder Izelo at changes and he was so happy to see me.  He gifted me the pin that he received for graduating from seminary.  It was something he really treasured, so I didn't want to take it, but he said he wanted me to have it.  Elder Izelo made everything worth it for me.  I know for sure that I meant something in his life and that is something I would have never found anywhere else."

"I'm not worried about coming home.  I'll leave my expectations low and continue to be sad to go home. haha  I'll make sure to make every minute count.  I love you all very much.  Have a great week!

Elder Dallon Smith

Elder Smith and Elder Holton

Their apartment building in Talagante.

Living the good life