Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Enduring Trials

Dallon is not feeling well and had a tough week.  He is experiencing that being a leader is not always fun and can often be a lonely place.  This week his letter was mostly self contemplative, but he did share some special experiences.

"It's interesting how the Lord works.  Reading your email was an answer to a lot of my questions and prayers.  Thanks for helping me out so much.  It's funny because this morning I came to the very same conclusion.  It's hard to be a leader.  It's hard to be the bad guy all the time.  It's hard to receive the criticism of those around you and it's even harder not to be hard on yourself about it.  I never thought that I would feel the way that I do right now.  I always wanted to be a leader and now that I am one, it's like I just want to run away from it.  I think I am a bit of a perfectionist.  I think I am the hardest on myself.  President said that I better just get use to it because I'll probably be a leader for life.  It's been a growing experience and I think that it will continue to be one for me.  Thanks for your counsel.  I received the same inspiration this morning in my personal study.  I'll print out your email and read it a lot this week to help remind me of the things that are most important."

"Some positive news is that Estefania got baptized!  It was kind of a crazy experience.  Elder Holton was on divisions and forgot to bring the tunica to Talagante, so after teaching English classes, we had to run over to get it.  We got back to the chapel late and everyone was freaking out about nothing is planned and everything is horrible.  They didn't think that I cared about them.  Everything was ready, we just got there a little late.  Then I get a phone call from the branch president and he goes off on why we don't have anything planned?  I just listened, was patient and endured it.  Everything was ready and everything went great.  Lots of people came, the water was perfect temperature, we had the clothes ready, and it went just perfect.  It was really easy and it was interesting that it went so smoothly.  When Estefania was baptized, she just broke down crying in the font.  The spirit was really strong.  They all thanked me afterwards and were really happy about it all.  The most important thing is that she was baptized and it was really wonderful.  We also have 2 more baptisms this week.  They will be baptized on Saturday and have asked me to baptize them.  It should be cool if I can get through this week without crashing.  I know it will be great."

"Another thing this week was we had divisions.  I went to Santiago with Elder Farias from Argentina.  It was so fun!  I got a member to take us to Santiago in his car so we didn't have to stay overnight with the office elders.  Hermano Torrez took us out to eat and dropped us off right where we needed to go.  He showed us where he worked and it was really cool.  There were like a bajillion people trying to take out their carnets at the same time.  We waited for freaking hours!  It's like the DMV on steroids.  Everyone was speaking different languages.  I talked to a guy from China that couldn't speak Spanish, but could speak English. haha  It was fun getting to know him.  I think he saw my Asian roots, so he came to talk to me instead of anyone else.  He was a Protestant and had moved to Chile to be with his son.  Knowing languages is a great benefit and blessing.  It opens doors for knowing more people and how they think.  I really like it."

"Elder Farias is really cool.  He is just a big humble nice guy.  He really helped me to relax and was so kind when I most needed it.  We had a great time together and luckily for me, was really good at directions. haha  He saved me.  I'm glad I got to know him.  We ended up doing divisions for 2 days because we took so long in the extranjeria and police investigations that the registro civil closed before we could get there and finish.  We had to go to do it on Tuesday morning."

"We also had capacitacion especial with President King and the Elders from Penaflor.  I got to see Elder Wilcox and a few others that I have gotten to know in the mission.  It was fun and I was glad that I got to see Elder Wilcox again.  He is so old now and believe he has like a year in the mission.  He is really fun and it was good to catch up with him."

"Our investigator Francisca also finally had her baby!  It was so weird seeing a brand new baby.  They are so stinking cute!  You can definitely feel the spirit with new born babies.  They are full of the light of Christ.  It's like a chunk of heaven.  It's legit.  Francisca should be getting baptized in June now, so that's exciting."

"Well, life is good.  I really liked this mormon message that I'm sure you've all seen about a member that was in a plane accident and her whole face was burned.  She says a lot of stuff in the video that makes me realize that our trials are so simple and that we should thank God for all of our trials because he is always there.  I know that is true.  I am learning to trust more in God's opinion of me, than my own opinion of me.  I'll be fine.  Pray that I'll be full of charity and that I will have more work than I'll know what to do with.  Keep being you and your best selves.  I know that I have the best family in the world!"

Elder Dallon Smith

Estefania's Baptism Day

Estefania's Family

Just hangin' with Elders Smith and Holton

Zone Conference April 2012