Monday, April 2, 2012

Conference in the Campo

From the pictures we got this week, we aren't sure if Dallon is on a mission or on vacation.  We guess that it is a little of both.  His letter definitely implies that he is serving a full and rewarding mission. 

"I agree with you that it was a whirlwind week!  However, it was like a little vacation at the end just being able to enjoy conference.  I love conference weekend.  It's the best and I loved every minute of it.  The talks were awesome.  Our investigators were able to go and received many answers.  If there is anything that I've learned, it is that our answers are found in conference.  It was such a good feeling.  I was sad that it is my last conference in Chile and everyone was crackin' jokes at me and calling me an old geezer. haha  It's funny that Dad and Jake were at the Priesthood session because while I was watching, I had a feeling that they were there.  I turned to all the other missionaries and said that my Dad was there. haha  It was weird and cool that I just knew it.  So once again, another spiritual confirmation.  Nora fed us lunch of fried fish and rice.  It was sooo good.  We have such incredible converts."

"This week started off really well.  We have a few investigators that are sooo close.  We also had Elder Pena's birthday.  Unfortunately, birthdays aren't too fun on the mission because it is just another full day of missionary work.  The members and investigators made it special for him.  He enjoyed it and received a lot of gifts, so that was good."

"On Sunday morning I received a call from an investigator that was super excited.  She had been investigating the church for over a year.  She wasn't married but had always had the desire to be baptized.  She called and said, "Elder Smith, I got married yesterday!"  She had a lot of medical complications and they weren't able to get married earlier in the month.  Anyways they were like, "That's it!  We need to have an eternal family.", so they ran away and got married.  They were so excited and she can hardly wait for her baptism.  It is sooo cool!  They just want to get to the temple."

"Right when I first came to this sector, I saw an American flag in a house on the corner across the street.  We were on our way to an appointment, but I thought we really needed to contact these people.  Maybe they like gringos?! haha  I go over and say "alo" and a young lady comes out and starts talking to us.  I found out that she wasn't a member and was the daughter of a less active.  We set up an appointment, but could never get in contact with her.  On one of those times we passed, I got to know her mom.  Her name is Barbara and I just love her.  She said that she loves missionary work and was mad that members didn't do more to look for those of the Lord's fold.  She has so much animo for missionary work and was inactive because she had been offended.  We began activating her and then yesterday, we ran over to see her daughter.  She was having a panic attack and wasn't doing very well.  We were asked to go over and give her a blessing.  We talked to her and she told us all her problems.  We told her that the gospel was the solution.  She said everything started happening since that first day that we came to her door.  After we talked for awhile, she said that she knew she needed to be baptized!  It was crazy and she said that the Lord sent us to her because he had already been preparing her.  It was another testimony builder to know that the spirit really does guide the mission work."

"I'm sending pictures of me in the campo! haha  We have some members and an investigator that lives in the middle of no where on a grape vineyard.  It is so beautiful.  They have horses and tree houses and tons of fun stuff."

"We are having such an outpouring of blessings here.  I don't know what we are doing that is giving us such success.  We have more than 17 investigators.  We have 3 that are going to be baptized in April.  We are working so hard and everything is just falling into place.  I feel loved and at home.  There is no place I would rather be.  It was fun to feel close to you.  We are doing so well and I only want to keep working until the very last second.  I love you all and am grateful for the love of the Lord towards our family.  The church is true... that's all I gotta say! haha"

Elder Dallon Smith

The Campo Vineyard