Thursday, March 29, 2012

Temblor!

Dallon tells us that it was an earth moving week.  There were two earthquakes that hit Chile and one hit during the middle of a baptism.  It was a 7.1 magnitude earthquake that hit off the coast about 150 miles south of Dallon's location.  These are memorable times on his mission and he is literally soaking it all in.

"Nora was baptized yesterday and it was so awesome!  I wasn't able to see her at the beginning of the week because we had divisions, but she kept saying that she had someone special in mind to baptize her.  I thought it would be her friend that had always tried to share the gospel with her.  However, she said that she had prayed a lot about it and decided that I was the one that was sent to baptize her.  I felt really honored that she picked me and she has been a golden investigator since day one.  I have no doubt that she will be an active and firm member of the church.  Her baptismal service went great.  It was smooth and almost the whole ward came to support her.  The talks were really spiritual and everything fell into place, from the tunica to the temperature of the water.  I felt the spirit more strongly than I have ever felt during a baptism.  We got into the font and I baptized her.  When she came out of the water, she just started crying.  I was so happy for her.  I congratulated her and then helped her up the stairs.  Right when she opened the door to the dressing room, the earthquake hit.  I was right in the middle of the font and the water started sloshing all around.  The ward members started yelling that it was a temblor.  It was super strong and I was slipping all over the place trying to get out of the font. haha  It was crazy.  When Nora came out, she said that she didn't even feel the temblor and thought that was really strange.  She said that she had felt something inside of her so strongly that, that was the only temblor she felt.  A spiritual temblor.  She was so happy.  It was an awesome experience.  She pulled me and Elder Pena aside and said that she had prayed really hard that day, that God would let her know that he was present at her baptism.  She said how interesting it was that there was a spiritual temblor that was an answer for her, and a physical temblor for everyone else.  She said she knew that God was present.  A lot of the members teased me that I had done it and said, "What did you do?!" haha  They said that it had started the moment I entered the font, but it was really light.  It was actually the second temblor that I felt this week.  The first one was in the middle of the night and I woke up to really loud noise coming from the earth.  There was shaking, but not as violently as the second one.  I yelled, "terremoto!" to Elder Pena and he hops out of bed and starts looking around. haha  We fell back to sleep really fast.  I think I'm getting use to them.  It was an earth moving week."

"We've had 8 investigators to church every week and a lot of families that are activating.  I think Elder Pena and I are a good team.  There is truly no where else I'd rather be.  Two of my friends, Elder Crane and Elder Gonzalez, who were in my last district, have come to Talagante.  I am happy because I know they will work hard and do a great job.  I love them a lot.  Elder McBride is going to be training and Elder West left.  It was fun to be together.  I think it is going to be a great change."

"I got a letter from Jacqueline from Maipu.  She said that once I left, she didn't feel the same in church and was going a little inactive.  I feel super bad because I want her to be active and have all the blessings of the gospel.  I know she got baptized for the right reasons.  She just needs help to remember that.  Can you please put Jacqueline's name on the prayer roll at the temple?  I also received a gift from her along with a little statue of Moroni that a grandpa from Maipu made for me.  It is really cool!  I really need to start sending stuff home.  I just don't want to lose anything."

"I had interviews with the President this week.  We talked a lot about my release date.  He told me to pray about it.  There is a small group going home three weeks early for school.  I feel like the Lord gave me some really good scholarships and that most things point that I should go.  I'll tell the president next week if I want to be put on the list with this group."

"Sounds like it was a fun week for everyone.  Make sure you all give Dad a big hug for me and wish him a happy birthday!  I love him a lot!  Thanks for all your support and prayers.  I know that we are in the truth and that the blessings are real."

Elder Dallon Smith

Nora's baptism day

Nora's family

A barbeque with members

Elders Mackie, Smith, Britt, and Camus