Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I'm Grateful For...

We were out of town the week of Thanksgiving, so we weren't able to post Dallon's letter.  His letter was more personal to our family and was full of expressions of gratitude.  We loved it and will hold it against him the rest of his life!

"I got your Thanksgiving package just this last week. haha  It was funny because I totally forgot all about Thanksgiving.  The Tim Tam Slams were a hit!  Oh man, those things are so delicious!  I had divisions with Elder Mackie this week and we had Tim Tam Slams on his birthday.  The next day I had them with Elder Izelo.  They are amateurs, but I consider myself a Tim Tam Slam pro! haha"

"This week went by fast, just like all my weeks now, so I guess I better get use to that.  We weren't able to have Ana's baptism because she wanted her padrinos there and they weren't able to go until next Sunday.  They are really excited though, so that's cool.  We are teaching a little kid named Patrico and he is going to be baptized on the 11th of December.  He is really cool.  I always thought that he was a member, but it turned out that he was never baptized.  His dad is a recent convert.  That means we should have two baptisms to start off December, so we are excited!"

"Elder Izelo and I didn't have changes!  I love it here and this ward is going to take really good care of us during the Christmas season.  Seriously, there is no place where I would rather be.  Elder Izelo is still progressing and we are good friends.  I'm grateful that we get another change together.  I'm also grateful that almost my whole district stayed the same.  Elder Gonzales had changes and Elder Mackie will be training now.  Our district is really unified and we have some fun activities planned for December.  We are going to go sing hymns at the outdoor markets and pass out Christmas pass alongs.  I also thought of another idea that I think will be hard, but it will also be so awesome.  A couple elders in our district are from Honduras and their families are super poor.  They never hear from or receive anything from home.  It is so sad and I admire them so much.  One Elder didn't have socks for a long time.  Elder Mackie gave him a suit and some other items that he could use.  I love all these elders so much.  I wish I could buy them everything they needed.  Our district has decided to to have our own sub-for-santa and are all going to pitch in to buy these elders a camera.  They don't have one and need to be able to remember their missions.  This is what I would like for Christmas.  Don't send me a package.  I'd rather have some extra money to help these elders with what they need.  I don't need or want anything.  I have already been spoiled enough to last a lifetime."

"I have so much to be grateful for and it makes me emotional just thinking about all that I have already been given.  First and foremost, I am grateful for my Father in Heaven.  He has always taken care of me, even when I felt I didn't deserve it.  He has given me what is best for me and understands me completely.  He is the only one that will always be there.  He lets me be a part of blessing the lives of others and accepts me for me.  I am also grateful for Jesus Christ and his atonement.  It is only through him that we will have eternal families and that we can be clean from sin.  He is the only way that we can be happy and he asks so little from us.  He suffered not only for our sins, but for our pains and griefs.  He knows us perfectly and wants what is best for us.  I love them so much.  My testimony of them is growing and it is something I am soooo grateful for.  There are so many people who say that they don't need to hear us because they already know God, but the sad truth is, they don't.  They don't know the relationship that they can have with him.  If they did, they would be so much happier.  I truly know that God and Jesus Christ live and that this is their church.  I am thankful that the Lord considered me worthy to be a Saint in the last days and to have the fullness of the gospel."

"Secondly, I am grateful for exceptional parents.  I too, like Nephi, feel like if I had to write a book of scripture, I would start out...I Elder Smith, being born of goodly parents...haha, but really, I hope you know just how grateful I am for you.  Dad has always been a faithful example to me.  He taught me to have strong values and to always do as the Lord commands.  He is an example of patience, discernment, leadership, obedience, love, and humility.  I always knew that he loved me and loved his family.  His values have always been centered in Christ.  The things that he has taught me will always stay with me.  After being in Chile for awhile and seeing how the real world is, I found out what being a good father really is.  It's you, Dad.  You are the best Dad anyone could ask for.  I am proud to be your son and I love you."

"Mom...haha  You already know how grateful I am for you because I have to tell you every week!  I think about you everyday.  When I say, "I'm me because of you", it's because it's true.  You are the only person who understands me and makes me want to be better everyday.  You are an example of strength, encouragement, love, confidence, humility, and I could probably go on forever.  I can't imagine not having you around me, Mom.  I love you soooo much.  You truly are my hero.  I don't know where I'd be without you.  I hope that one day, I'll be able to have half the talents that you have.  I don't know why the Lord let me have such a wonderful Mother.  I truly feel like I have a stripling warrior Mother.  "I do not doubt because my Mother knew it."  I hope you take that to heart Mom.  I love you!"

"I am grateful for my brother and sisters.  Each one has something so special.  I miss your personalities and all of the fun moments we've had together.  Before you know it, I'll be back home and we will be fighting about which restaurant to eat at! haha  I hope you know that I am grateful for each one of you.  I love you all and thank my Heavenly Father every day for such an amazing family.  I am lucky to have such awesome siblings.  I know that you will all do incredible things in this world.  I'll always be proud to say that I am your brother...and that I taught you everything you know! haha  Thanks for being good examples and for being you.  I love you."

"I'm grateful for...my family, the gospel, a good home, my country, a good ward, good companions, great investigators and converts, the Holy Ghost, good members, not having to worry about food or water, being young, prayer, examples, the scriptures, health, charity of others, good deeds, clothing, a bed, a house, technology, chocolate...haha  The list goes on and on and I am grateful to be alive and to see the miracles of God."

"Well, this was a pretty average week.  We had a fun noche de hogar with the familia Huenchur.  President and Hermana King came to my district meeting.  I thought I would be nervous, but I wasn't and it turned out really great.  I also had divisions with Elder Mackie and Elder Gonzales.  Anyways, that's about it.  Send everyone my love.  I'll talk to you next week."

Elder Dallon Smith