Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Time flies when you're having fun!

Dallon shared that he really enjoyed this week.  It was filled with a baptism, barbeque and service opportunity.  The electricity all over Chile went out for a couple hours one night and it happened at a convenient time for Dallon and his companion.  He talks about it in his letter.

"This week was a lot of fun getting ready for baptisms and working here in good old Rinconada.  It is so nice here and it is weird how these days seem to be flying by.  The baptisms went great!  They have such strong testimonies.  I feel like I just walked them to the baptismal font and hardly did anything except teach and share the gospel a bit.  It was cool to see them change with the light that the gospel brings into every life.  They were my first converts that I didn't teach from the very beginning.  It was still fun to get to know them and see just how happy they are."

"We also had a really fun ward activity.  We had a huge bbq that was an absolute blast!  It was so hot, but we all had a lot of fun together.  We played a lot of games with the ward members and investigators.  My favorite was the caballito de bronce, where there is a line of guys with another group of guys jumping onto them.  It sounds weird, I know, but it was so funny!  I love the leadership here and getting to know these people.  They are happy and fun and I am grateful that I am here."

"The other night we were walking in the gangsta part of our sector and there is a group of kids that always taunt and annoy us.  They try to rob us and get us to use swear words.  It's lame, but they can get really annoying.  Anyways, it was getting late and the kids saw us and started to walk towards us.  I was like, "Oh crap, here we go again."  Right then the lights went out and it went black, which is actually more dangerous because we shouldn't be out in the sector when there is no light.  Anyways we got away and went to Pablo's house who's mom made us a whole bunch of completos!  Then we went to an investigators home and read the 10 virgenes under candle light, which made for a really fun lesson.  I never found out why the power went out, but I guess that it was out all over Santiago.  It made for a fun night."

"We also did some service where we painted the house of a senior lady in our ward.  It was funny to see everyone's reactions seeing two white boys painting some house in the middle of the ghetto. haha  I liked it and it was cool to paint a house all by myself.  We needed a ladder and a hermano from the ward showed up with 4 long boards of plywood and a saw and, on the spot, makes us a legit ladder.  It was incredible!  It only took him 10 minutes to make it.  The members are always so willing to serve and use their talents to bless the lives of others.  I love this ward so much."

"Yesterday we had a mission work conference with all the bishoprics in the stake and President King.  Elder Wilcox and I arrived late because we had a man from our ward drive us and it didn't look too good for me as a district leader.  My district teased me about it afterwards.  Then we had to serve the sacrament to a recent convert who couldn't be at church, so we got back to the pension late and I had to call the district late and everyone was waiting on me.  Oh well, mistakes are just a part of life.  Ya just got ta make em, learn from em, and then not do em again! haha  Also, a couple girls from my last area came to my sacrament meeting and brought me a gift for my birthday.  I can't believe they are coming to see me.  It was fun to see them, but at the same time, it didn't create a good missionary image. haha  Elder Wilcox did his first confirmation which was awesome.  It was funny too because he was sweating like a crazy person. haha  I was glad that I was able to be with him.  First experiences always makes life more fun.  Elder Wilcox and I have been working better as a team.  We are trying to find more people to teach.  There are a couple that are slowly progressing, but with a sector like this, I know that we can have so many other people that can come to know their Savior.  This place is golden."

"I am so excited for conference!  It is my favorite part of the year.  Whooooo hooooo!  It is revelation time baby!  Conference always makes me feel so good and trunkie at the same time. haha  Just think, we will be doing the same thing at the exact same time.  I love that!  Oh, I also found out today that our mission has been invited to participate in the 50th anniversary celebration!!!  I am so excited!  That will be cool and I know that we are going to have a blast!  I can't wait!"

"I hope you know that I love you and am grateful for you everyday.  I pray that you will always be happy.  I hope you are still going to the temple for me.  I am happy to be here in Chile and to be serving the Lord.  There is no where else I'd rather be and I know that the Lord will take care of me.  The other day a hermana said that the Lord loves us, but not only that...as members, the Lord adores us.  I had never thought about it like that before, but it is true.  The Lord really does adore us and is grateful for every good act or kind deed that we do.  I love the quote that says, "When we are liberated from our own fears, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same."  That has helped me a lot this week.  Know I always love you."

Elder Dallon Smith

The baptism of Yoselin and Fernando





Ward games!

Maipu Zone Conference