Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Birthday Blessings

It was hard not to be able to talk to Dallon on his birthday.  We were pleasantly surprised that he was able to email us on Monday because of the Chilean holiday.  On receiving this letter, we are so grateful for the people who love and take care of our son.  What a priceless blessing.  The Lord truly has us all in mind.
 
"Yesterday was definitely a strange day for me.  I don't really like having birthdays, especially on the mission.  However, I had some really cool things happen that made me feel really special."

"The familia Barrueto came to my sacrament meeting just to give me a gift and sit with me during the meeting.  They cried when we first saw eachother, again when sacrament was almost over, and again when we had to say good-bye.  It was such a fun surprise and I love them so much.  I can't believe that they went out of their way to do that for me.  It was the best birthday gift ever.  The ward was wondering who they were because hermano Barrueto was hugging me the whole time. haha  I am happy that a lot of my investigators in Diagonal are still getting baptized.  One family isn't taking lessons anymore because I left.  It is sad to know and I am praying that they will come back.  I love those families so much.  My heart still aches when I think of all of them."

"We then had dinner with a family in the ward who bought me a birthday cake.  I ended up having my face smashed into it, which was fun and painful at the same time. haha  Afterwards, we just contacted all day and I was feeling a little trunkie for the first time in the mission.  I think I would have liked the 18th of September more if it wasn't my birthday.  It just seemed like everything was focused on me and I don't like that.  I like it better when I can just get lost in the work.  I'll be glad to be home for my next one.  I did receive your birthday package and cards!  It was great!  Thank you!!!  I loved it!"

"Divisions were really fun this last week.  I went with Elders Crane and Holton.  I went to their sector both times.  Elder Crane and I contacted the whole day without finding a single new investigator.  It was sad but we really did work hard.  I just got to know him better.  He is Canadian, played Rugby, and loves singing with me out on the street. haha  Elder Holton is from Sandy.  We know some of the same people.  We had a really cool experience.  We went to a members home and they were really cool and were joking around with us.  Then all of a sudden, they just broke down crying.  The man had been in an accident a year ago and had a brain anurism.  He had to relearn how to do everything.  He shared a picture that he had drawn a week after the accident that showed the pain that he was experiencing because he couldn't speak or write.  It showed a man that was being stabbed through the head and there were veins and blood everywhere.  It was freaky.  The family was in a lot of pain because the man was having flash backs of the car accident and felt like if he fell asleep, he was never going to wake up again.  He asked for a blessing and the spirit was really strong.  I was glad that I got to be there for that experience.  I love being a little part of people's lives and to know that the spirit lead us to their home when they needed it most.  I am so happy to be a missionary and be used to help bless the lives of others.  It is so amazing.  They all have such strong testimonies and it was incredible to witness their strength."

"My district is great.  It takes a lot of time to be district leader and I am constantly calling people and hardly have time to write in my journal or do anything that I want.  However, I do love talking to the elders and hermanas and helping them out.  They are having a harder time in their sectors and I've been trying to help motivate them.  The hermanas are working really hard.  They always talk to me too long though. haha  They also played a joke on me by faking they were in a fight.  I spent a good five minutes telling them to just move past it and to remember their purpose and then they just started laughing and told me it was all a joke...blah...it was lame. haha"

"On Saturday we had a stake activity for the 18th that was a blast.  Our ward was so fun and we all did dances and ate a lot of empanadas and soda.  I loved being there and met a lot of cool people.  The ward leaders are so great and I just want to get to know them better.  It was fun and I got to experience a little more of the Chilean culture with all the saints in our stake.  I am sending some pictures from it.  Do you like my Chilean tie?  The familia Retamal gave that to me in my last sector and all of the members here love it."

"I am doing well.  I am glad that my birthday is over and that I can just get back to work.  Just pray that I will have confidence in myself and in the Lord, to complete his work.  I am trying to be humble and receptive of the spirit's promptings.  I have felt a little out of it this week with divisions and all, but I am excited that I am learning a lot.  I am glad that I get to be here on the mission.  I love being here.  We should have two baptisms next Sunday, so that will be fun.  I love you all and pray for you always."

Elder Dallon Smith

The Barrueto Family

A birthday tradition

Elders Wilcox and Smith