Monday, September 5, 2011

District Leader in Rinconada

Last week started out wonderful with 5 baptismal commitments in Diagonal!  Then the news came that Dallon was having changes and would be leaving.  He was very emotional and had a difficult time preparing to leave the area that he had worked so hard in and the people whom he had grown to love.  Dallon is now a district leader in Rinconada and his new companion is Elder Wilcox from San Diego, California.

"Last Monday the ward in Diagonal threw me a really big party and it was so fun, but really sad at the same time.  It was a good last hurrah.  Things have changed so fast and, to be honest, I am a little light headed over it all.  President King transferred me to one of the best, if not thee best sector, in our whole mission.  I am in Rinconada with Elder Wilcox from San Diego, California.  The difference between this area and my last is so distinct, that I hardly feel like I am serving in the same mission.  The ward is very strong and have tons of members and a lot of people who are helping with the mission effort.  It's amazing!  I never knew wards like this existed here.  The people are so kind and everyone is happy.  They love the missionaries and there are a lot of investigators to teach.  I can't believe it.  I have also been called to be district leader responsible for six other missionaries.  It has been fun, but also something to make me humble really fast.  I am still trying to understand all my responsibilities.  They just throw you in and you just have to learn fast and do it."

"The first week is hard because everyone is missing the missionary that just left.  My good friend, Elder Furiman, served here and he was really excited that I was going to be with his greenie in this area.  Elder Wilcox is really cool.  He is 21, a beach bum, and all around stud, except for the fact that he is a huge Lakers fan. haha  He is still trying to get the hang of Spanish, but he is progressing really fast.  We are going to have a lot of fun this change.  This week we found 33 new investigators, which has broken a lot of records.  It is much easier to find people here.  Transfers were really good.  I got to see Elder Tialavea and meet a few of the members from my new ward right away.  The members here feed us so much that I've already not finished sometimes and have felt really sick.  I don't think I am going to survive all the food.  This place honestly feels too good and I don't deserve to be here.  It is so great.  They call it the Celestial ward.  I don't even know how to tell ya."

"It is a beautiful area and sometimes feels like I am in the states.  The pension is a small apartment.  Elder Wilcox and I have already received a few love letters from girls who I think have been watching us.  It's funny but also a little creepy.  We have two parts in our sector.  One really nice area that looks a lot like Daybreak and another part which is similar to Diagonal.  The other  night we were followed home by a gang of 12 year olds that were trying to rob us, so we had to run into a member's home. haha  Oh man it's funny!  This ward has cars too and will take us places.  Oh and my zone leaders are Elder Opazo and Silva! haha  I will get to be here when Elder Opazo dies.  He has asked me about you all like 50 times already.  He is really grateful for everything you did for him."

"I'm not sure if I will be able to go back to Diagonal for the baptisms or if I'll be able to go to the temple sealings.  I would really like to but the same dates that I placed with the investigators in Diagonal, I also have families here in Rinconada that are going to be baptized, so I wouldn't be able to go.  I don't know.  We will just have to hope that everything works out.  I would really love to see them be baptized and sealed."

"Anyways everything is good and it will be fun to start something new.  I am grateful for all your prayers and all that you do for me.  Can you believe I am going to have one year?!!!  That's so strange.  I love you and remember to go to the temple and to fulfill your callings to the maximum."

Elder Dallon Smith