Monday, June 13, 2011

Quarantined!

Elder Balling has been sick this week.  Dallon spent most days just hanging around the pension and going stir crazy.  He studied a lot and caught up on writing letters back to everyone.  He is hoping that his companion will get better soon and that they can get back to work.

"It's been a hard week.  Elder Balling had a cold and wasn't able to leave to work.  I don't like sitting in the pension because it is really cold and I just have too much time to think about everything.  I think being in the pension gives me too much time to not stay positive and that's not good. ha ha  However, I got a lot of studying done and it was fun to have some time to write to all of you ." 

"I went to the mission leader's home a couple days ago and the family gave me a gift of gloves and a beenie.  They told me that they didn't want me to be cold.  They don't have a lot of money and I felt horrible that they spent some on me.  I had to accept it.  Their gift meant more to me because of the love and sacrifice that came with it.  I don't know how to thank them. "

"On Friday, I was able to get Elder Balling up to work for half the day.  We did divisions and I went with the second counselor, Hermano Mancilla, to teach Estrella.  It was so cool!  We taught about the plan of salvation and talked a lot about the Holy Ghost.  The biggest blessing was when she told me that she had read the Book of Mormon on her own, prayed about it, and received an answer that it was true!  Oh man, I was so happy.  At the end of the lesson, I was able to invite her to be baptized again on June 26th.  She said yes!  She is coming to church and is making an effort to be prepared.  I think it is so cool to watch how the gospel can change lives ." 

"My pension did have changes.  Elder McDougal got a Chilean companion named Elder Belmar.  He is really funny and we get along great.  We are all getting to know Elder Belmar and he is a really nice guy.  Right now I love it when they come home, so I finally have someone to talk to.  I was able to go play some soccer with the district this morning, which was so fun!   It was good to get out of the pension finally.  I went on divisions with Elder McDougal.  Elder Hollister is the zone leader and called to make sure that I was coming and let us do divisions.  It is always fun to get together with the district ."

"I am grateful for my family and for the time I have on my mission.  I know the Lord will make everything work out.  I won't always understand or get what I want, but he'll give me what I need.  I just try to be my best in the moment and hope that it will pay off later.  Thanks for all your prayers, love and support ."

Elder Dallon Smith