Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Work Still To Do

There are no transfers this week for Dallon!  He met with President King and was told that he and Elder Opazo would stay together in Barrancas.  Dallon is really excited because there is still so much work to do there.  In this weeks email he asked for a favor.  He is teaching a man who was taught and befriended by a missionary who served in Chile 30 years ago.  Although, the man never joined the church, he has always remembered his missionary friend.  The missionary is now an Orthopedic doctor at St. Mark's.  Dallon asked us to contact the Dr. to have him send his testimony to his friend in Chile.  We had a nice conversation with the Dr. and everyone is excited for the reunion.  We pray that it will be a blessing in all their lives.

"I am excited to serve here for another change.  It will be fun and I think we are going to do a lot of really cool things.  Elder Opazo and I fasted together and we pray together every night.  He thanked me and told me that I am the only companion that he has ever prayed with every night.  I just think that it is important that we always keep the Lord as a part of our companionship, so that we can have the spirit stronger and be directed in all the things that we need to do.  The only person that had changes was Elder DeLong, so we should be getting a new district leader.  I went on divisions with Elder DeLong this week and it was the first time that I lead the sector.  I was a little nervous but said a quick prayer and found everything just fine.  Elder Opazo always makes fun of me for not being good with directions.  We were also blessed because we had four lessons that day, so we weren't just walking around finding plan B's.  Anyways it was really fun being with Elder DeLong.  We made brownies and stayed up late to watch the home videos you sent me.  It was so great.  I seriously have a cool family!"

"Thanks for sending the video on the Joseph Smith revelation from the Doctrine & Covenants.  I think it was inspiration because I used section 120-123 a lot this week.  A grandfather tried to take his life by hanging himself.  The Bishop asked if we would go visit the family and share some comfort with them.  It wasn't the first time that he had tried to do it.  It was so sad that I can't even tell you.  I feel so bad for the family.  We went there and tried to share messages of faith, love, and hope.  Their circumstances are just so poor and they don't understand why they are so hopeless.  They asked, "How strong does the Lord expect us to be?" and, "How come when we are good people, everything bad happens to us, while there are so many bad people with wonderful lives?"  I shared the scripture about the Lord and how he has descended below all things, and are we greater than he?  I told them that the Lord loves them and knows that they are stronger than they themselves know.  The grandfather came home while we were visiting and I have never seen anyone so depressed and lifeless.  We left the family with a prayer and went back to visit two days later.  They are still struggling and asked if we would come around more often.  They said that we bring a peace to them.  When we were leaving, the little twins ran out to the gate and blocked the lock with their bodies so that we couldn't leave.  Oh man, I wish I could do something more.  The Bishop is going to help them which is great.  I never thought I would be a part of someone's life like this.  Missions are so great.  You learn to love people and be a part of their lives that you never would have been able to."

"I had another cool experience with the spirit.  We were out contacting an apartment complex and the number 17 kept popping up in my mind.  I told Elder Opazo that we needed to find apartment number 17.  We walked over to a different block and knocked on apartment 17 and no one was home.  I was really questioning whether I really knew how to follow the spirit.  Well, last week we had met an old lady walking outside with a crutch.  She was the kindest old lady and we had a nice contact with her.  Anyways, lo and behold, we run into her again and she invites us to her apartment and it was number 17!!  ha ha  It was crazy cool!  We just had a lesson with her yesterday and she is so kind and smart.  I don't know if she will be baptized, but I think that the Lord has a plan for her and that's why we were suppose to go there.  I am so thankful that the Lord has blessed us with those experiences.  Definitely testimony builders."

"A crazy thing happened when we were contacting a young couple with a little toddler girl.  She was so cute.  We were talking to them when all of a sudden the air got thick.  It was such a weird feeling.  The next second went by so fast because people were screaming, "Get the baby, get the baby!"  I felt like someone was pulling me while at the same time I saw the power line poles bending backwards.  I didn't know what to think and looked behind me as I saw big sparks of blue and yellow exploding.  The power lines had been caught on a semi-truck.  It was a semi blocked road but the driver had broken the law and hooked the power lines.  The truck bungied backwards and rolled down the hill and stopped.  I thought the driver had been electricuted!  Luckily he gets out of the truck, unhooked the power lines and drove off.  Everyone was just standing there in shock.  Elder Opazo and I got the license number and description of the truck for the police.  It made me realize that the situation could have been worse and that the Lord is protecting us.  You should have seen the power lines afterwards.  It was like a spiderweb!  They have so many power lines here that it is insane!  But through it all, we still ended up getting a pretty good contact with the young couple. ha ha"

"My favorite food so far has been the barbeques.  However, I had something called pastel de choclo which was kind of like shepherd's pie, except with corn cake on top, that was really good.  I also have lots of dreams with my family in it.  I think that is why I like sleeping so much...other than the fact that I am really tired at the end of every day.  Anyways, I'm glad that you are all doing well.  I love you so much!  I like to think I feel your prayers for me every day.  Keep having fun and know that I am thinking of you.

Elder Dallon Smith

Out for Chinese with the District

Enjoying an evening snack