Monday, January 24, 2011

Two Months & Two Baptisms!

Dallon was truly excited this week.  He experienced his first convert baptism of a couple that is especially close to him.  He says it is hard to express the joy he feels.  Transfers will be happening soon and it will be difficult for him to leave the area and the people whom he has come to love and has worked so hard with.

"We finally had our first two baptisms with Guillermo and Norka!  It was such an absolutely amazing experience.  It was great to see two people enter the waters of baptism with "animo" and strong testimonies.  It was incredible.  I felt so close to the Lord when I watched Norka go under the water.  It is a feeling that I will never forget.  I feel so blessed that the Lord allowed me to be a part of the first steps in someones journey to salvation.  Even though it was really great, not everything went the way we planned.  We were suppose to have members speak and watch a movie.  However, the movie didn't work and one of the speakers never showed up.  Elder Opazo came and told me that I was going to have to speak.  I wasn't prepared for it and was a little stressed about doing it.  I wanted everything about the baptism to be perfect, so they would have a great experience.  Anyways, we also almost let the baptismal font overflow, so we had to bail out some water.  Elder Opazo grabbed a garbage can to start bailing and a non-member was there and I don't think he really liked that.  There wasn't much I could do, so I went to the custodial closet to get a bucket to help bail.  It was a little funny and I just had to laugh it off.  Luckily the ceremony went great.  Brother Wilchez did a great job with the first talk and I actually did ok on my talk about the spirit and enduring to the end.  I won't ever forget their faces while I was speaking.  They were so happy and had tears in their eyes.  I was glad that I got to be a part of the baptismal service and that the Lord helped me to say the things that I needed to.  All in all, it turned out pretty incredible."

"This week I finally was able to make brownies!  I made some for the Alfaro family.  They were really yummy, although I over-cooked it a little.  I'll eventually get it right.  They loved the brownies and some sweet popcorn from Christmas.  It is always so rewarding to serve the people here.  I love giving them treats that they don't have in Chile.  They were so grateful and I was so grateful for the brownies you sent me.  They definitely were put to good use."

"In weeks of great success, Satan was also working equally as hard too.  I ended up not having divisions with Elder DeLong because he had to do divisions with the zone leaders.  I kinda felt like I was just left out to dry.  I know it was my fault that I wasn't having a good day, but I am not perfect and sometimes it is hard to stay positive.  I still have so much to improve on.  Satan made me think negative and then it was hard to get out of the rut.  Anyways, we were walking that evening and ran into Norka.  She was with her friend and she called me her son and was saying look at how good looking he is. ha ha  It made me feel better though and reminded me that the Lord has blessed me so much.  I need to not let myself get down.  I know that Guillermo and Norka love me.  They are always concerned about how we are going to stay in contact.  They and the Alfaro family are nervous about the changes next week.  It's almost certain that I or Elder Opazo will get transferred.  I'm pretty sure I will be going to the city.  We will just have to see where the Lord has plans for me."

"We weren't able to talk to Elena Salinas this week.  I think she is on vacation.  That is what has been hard is vacations.  Almost the whole country is on vacation, so no one is home! ha ha  Everyone goes on vacation for like a month here.  They are so lucky.  I think we should have this tradition in the states!  It's been really hot and we haven't been able to contact a lot of people this week.  Some of the days have been a little long.  I know that the Lord has a purpose for me here, even though I am starting to realize more and more that he requires us to give every little bit of ourselves.  It is hard work, but it is so worth it.  I hope to continue working hard and finding the people the Lord has prepared.  I know that they are out there and are waiting for the gospel.  I really want to find a young family like Grandpa and Grandma Capps had when they were converted.  Look at how much good those missionaries did.  I hope that I'll be able to give that same opportunity to a family here in Chile.  I know that they are here...I just need to find them."

"I wish I could go to the temple.  I love learning more about temples on my mission.  We are so lucky that we have the opportunity to go to the temple whenever we want.  The people here have to sacrifice to go.  It's just cool when we use the blessings that we are given."

"Anyways, that was my week.  You are in my prayers and thoughts every day.  I love you.  Be good and have fun."

Elder Dallon Smith

Elder Smith, Guillermo, Norka, Elder Opazo

Guillermo and Norka's Baptism Jan. 23, 2011

Brownies with the Alfaro family