Monday, August 6, 2012

Service Rendered

Two more Sundays is how we like to think about it.  Our family loves the people of Chile and will always be blessed for the love and care they gave to Dallon over the past two years.  Our hearts will eternally be full of gratitude.

"I began this week by killing a chicken with my bare hands! haha  It was so crazy!  I killed it, feathered it, and ate the whole thing insides and out.  I am the man!  Elder Holton took a video of it, so I can relive it after the mission. haha  It felt cool and I did it all myself!"

"I feel like I am cramming to get everything done.  It's been a whirlwind and I can feel the end getting closer and closer.  Tuesday we had district meetings.  It was fun, but the missionaries keep teasing me about going home.  They are making sure I know that I am dying and treat me like a dead man walking. haha  It stinks because I get it everyday now, but we have a good time."

"Thursday was temple day.  That was when it hit me for the first time that I am really going home.  I got to go do a session at the temple.  I am grateful to be able to end my mission with some of my best friends.  Elder Smart and I stuck together the whole time.  We talked a lot and have plans for after the mission.  A funny thing is his mom wrote and told him that Danielle Cottle was over at his house!  I guess she goes up there every summer and they are good friends.  Danielle talked to his mom all about us and it's funny how small the world really is.  Anyways, the session was really great.  We had a lot of time to reflect on the mission and all that we have learned.  I was really happy to be able to do the whole session in Spanish without any help.  The temple workers were so proud of me and kept congratulating me. haha  Then we went into the Celestial room and while I was praying, it truly hit me.  I felt the emotions so strongly as I gave thanks to my Heavenly Father for the best 2 years of my life.  I felt peace and know that God is proud of every one of his missionaries.  I felt good about the service I had rendered.  Afterwards, President and Hermana King talked to the six of us Elders alone.  They told us that they loved us like their own children and that they wanted us to continue in paths of righteousness.  They thanked us for serving an honorable full time mission and Hermana King began to cry.  I felt that they were saying good-bye to us, which made it clearer that this was it and I was going home.  We hugged eachother and I was so sad and so happy at the same time.  These contradicting feelings are not fun to deal with, but it was an experience that I will never forget.  The brotherhood that I've felt with the Elders and the love of God are feelings I will always remember."

"Elder Holton and I went to McDonalds afterwards and stayed the night with the office Elders for Concilio the next day.  Concilio was fun and I got to see everyone.  They all took pictures with me and said their good-byes.  I'll miss these Elders so much."

"Saturday we got Luis all ready for his interview which he passed yesterday.  That kid is going to do great things in the church.  President Arancibia is going to baptize him this coming Saturday, so we are excited for that.  We also have Andres who will be baptized on the 18th by the President of the Young Mens.  We will be preparing him this week for his interview.  We also have Diego, who is our 9 year old genius.  I never met a 9 year old that is so smart and converted.  I've been sharing with him for almost 5 months, so we are hoping that he is able to get baptized on the 18th as well.  There are a few other people that we are teaching, but they will most likely get baptized after I leave.  I'm still grateful to be able to share a lot of the gospel with them."

"Yesterday I shared my testimony.  The whole ward knows that I am going home and that's all they want to talk to me about.  It kind of stinks because they want to know if I'm going to come back, what I'm going to study, if I miss my family, etc.  It is constant talking about home and having people acting sad around me.  I don't really like it, but I understand.  I'm just going to keep working hard until the last day.  I love the Chilean people so much.  There is nothing that I can change now and I truly worked every moment of the last 2 years.  I know I did the best I could and that feels good.  I have come to know that even though I love them, my life now has a different path and in the end, I'll be able to see them again whether in this life or the next."

"That's awesome that you got to hang out with Elder Tialavea.  He is so cool and I love him a lot!  We had a good time together and the mission is not the same without him.  I'm excited to see him.  I've been blessed with some really incredible companions.  It's funny though, because a lot of the time you truly don't appreciate them until they're gone.  I've had the best mission ever!"

"I know that I have changed a lot and that I will continue to strive to have more attributes of Christ.  I think more than anything, I've just been humbled to see that I am far from perfect.  I have tried my best to be patient and to continue to change and become a better person.  I have a strong relationship with my Father in Heaven.  I know that he loves me and listens to me.  I know that what I have taught and learned over the last 2 years are eternal truths.  I can never deny the things that I have felt and answers that I have received.  I know this church is true all the way to my very center.  I have worked hard and been changed for the better.  I'll even learn more in my next mission in life."

"I'm proud to be a missionary.  I'm happy to be where I am.  I am grateful for what I've gone through and I'm anxious for what is to come.  It's been such a special journey and such a blessing.  I will be home soon, but I have a few more things to finish first.  I love you all very much!"

Elder Dallon Smith

The prize kill!

 happily preparing supper

August Concilio