Monday, December 5, 2011

December Baptisms

Dallon had a full week of baptisms.  These are the moments that the missionaries work so hard for.  He is always learning new things, taking on more responsibilities, and having great experiences.  In this letter, he also talks about a prank that was played on him.

"Finally we had our baptisms!  This is the first week that I have had two separate baptismal services in the same week.  It was a lot of work but worth it!  On Monday, Miguel had his interview and he passed with flying colors.  He was excited to be baptized.  Elder Silva had me fill out the paperwork because his handwriting is so bad.  He knows almost all of my converts because he has been my leader for a long time.  I was laughing with Miguel because his family names were so hard to spell.  He is also hard at hearing and I am hard of understanding him. haha  Miguel and I have become really close in a short period of time.  He told me that if his son-in-law couldn't baptize him, that he would have chosen me to do it.  I always call him "tata", which is kind of like grandpa.  He had his baptismal service on Friday.  It was a private baptism with us and his family.  The service was one of the most emotional that I have experienced so far.  His daughter gave a talk and began crying because she was the pioneer in the family that became a member 23 years ago.  She said that all these years she had prayed and put her Dad's name in the temple and her prayers have been answered.  Then Juan Carlos, who baptized him, also got a little emotional because he thought Miguel might never make the decision to be baptized.  Then the granddaughters sang, "Families can be together forever".  It was really cool.  Afterwards, we had Chinese food, which was delicious!  I didn't think that Miguel would want to take any pictures because he is so shy, but then he comes out in his whites and asks, "Why aren't we taking pictures yet? haha  It was great.  He kept patting me on the head.  The whole baptism was such a beautiful experience that I will never forget."

"We also were finally able to baptize Ana.  She asked me to baptize her and it was a great experience.  However, we weren't very good at preparing the baptismal font temperature. haha  It was freezing!  It is definitely something that she will never forget. haha  Let's just say it was a refreshing experience.  Ana gave a really great testimony after and was really emotional.  Her mom was really grateful and it was so cool.  We were so busy yesterday, which is why I think the font was so cold.  We had another baptismal interview because next week we are going to baptize Patrico.  This should be a great month!"

"I also did my first baptismal interview for my district.  The sisters are going to baptize a little girl named Isabel.  The interview went really well and I actually like doing it.  It's cool to be able to fortify their testimony and to know just how far they have come.  It's like you get to come in at the end, but still be a part of the conversion process.  Isabel is way smart.  She lives with her Dad and brother because her Mom left when she was very young.  She has a testimony of the Savior and faith in what she is choosing to do.  I enjoyed talking to her."

"I am praying that Rosa will be able to be baptized on Christmas day.  We also have a 16 year old girl that we are teaching named Scarlette.  We are hoping to place a baptismal date with her for December 25th, as well.  We have a lot of work ahead of us, but I am hoping for the best and have some Christmas miracles."

"I also had divisions with Elder Incze in his sector.  Elder Rios and Elder Roco played a prank on me.  They set up hidden cameras and everything!  They had me sit on the floor and told me they were going to do a weird magic trick.  They made me hold broom sticks and put a bowl with water in between the broomsticks and the ceiling.  I knew they were up to something, but didn't think that they would actually do it.  I am propting the bowls of water up with broomsticks and I can't leave or the water will fall on me.  Then they all left me and didn't come back, so all the water drenched me!  It was funny, but I didn't have a change of clothes because I was on divisions.  I couldn't believe they actually did it.  I've gotta find a way to get them back!"

"Last week I was asked to give another iniciativa in zone conference.  Elder Silva always asks me to give the classes.  I have been asked to do it for the last two changes.  I had everyone sit on the floor and read the Christmas story from the Book of Mormon.  I tried to be a little creative and it went pretty good.  Some Elders might think that was weird, but I like lessons that are a little different."

"Sounds like the Christmas season is picking up.  It's so weird when we are on opposite sides of the world.  It is so hot here!  I am dying!  I can't even imagine doing winter things. haha  I'm glad that you are all busy and having fun.  I know that I need to enjoy the specks of gold, but along the way I would like to find some nuggets. haha"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIMBER!!!   I hope you have a good birthday.  What are you...12 now?  That is flippin crazy! haha  I'll be sending you my love in brainwaves on your birthday.  I love you very much!  I actually talked a lot about you in my first baptismal interview and showed her all of your pictures.  It helped me to gain her confidence and she thought it was really cool that you are a cheer leader. haha  You are pretty cool, Kimmie.  Tenga un feliz cumpleanos y acuerdese que su hermano te quiere mucho!  Te deseo un feliz cumpleanos porque tu lo mereces.  FELIZ CUMPLEANOS!!!"

"Have fun this Christmas season and make sure to find time to enjoy it!  Thanks for everything!  Les Amo!"

Elder Dallon Smith

Elder Izelo, Miguel, and Elder Smith

Miguel's family

Elder Izelo, Ana, and Elder Smith

Ana's family