Monday, May 30, 2011

A Time to Grow

Dallon still hasn't received the package we sent, so he doesn't have a camera.  Luckily, he was able to get some pictures from Elder Balling to send to us.  It is great to see him again and it doesn't look like the area has done too much damage.  Dallon was in good spirits and told us that he received our letters which brightened his week.

"You are going to love me today!  Pictures!  Whoo hoo!  I didn't get my package last week, but I am hoping for the best this week.  This was a better week actually, and for that reason I am happy. "

"Last night we had a conference with President King and all of the missionaries from our Stake, as well as, our Bishoprics and Mission Leaders.  It was really fun and we all learned a lot.  Our stake had everyone come and it was cool being there.  Afterwards, Pres. King took me and Elder Balling home because he had to talk to Elder B about his wrist.  It looks like he is going to have surgery for sure, but the question is when.  We are really working hard and it is starting to show in our successes.  Anyways, the president gave me a chocolate chip cookie and I forgot how heavenly they were!  Nine months without homemade cookies make you realize just how awesome they are. "

""Sunday was a really crazy day.  Francisco came to church without his family and was like,  "I don't know if they are coming ."  Then I was asked to bless the sacrament.  It was my first time doing it in Spanish.  Fun, but I was sad that Estrealla and Alexander didn't come.  We had to cancel their baptismal interview.  They eventually came to the last hour of church and told us that they still have a desire, but do not feel totally prepared.  We moved their baptismal date back two weeks and hopefully will be able to fortify their testimonies before then.  The thing that makes me most happy is that I can see that they are slowly starting to change their lives.  It is my favorite thing in the entire world.  It is cool to watch the light enter their eyes.  Then after church, I was talking with two investigators and my companion disappeared!  I became a little nervous, but luckily I found him talking alone to Francisco.  Francisco was venting about some of his problems.  I have to tell him the hard truth sometimes and he really doesn't like that.  I think we still have some work to do with them, but I'm thinking they will be ready by next week.  Then, the Bishop taught a combined lesson and went off about how all we have to do is believe in Christ and we will go to heaven.  The members all went crazy and it turned into a big debate/argument.  I can't believe what is happening here.  The Bishop said that we don't need the Book of Mormon to be saved!!  What??  I never knew such apostacy could exist within the church.  Anyways, that was an experience that I won't forget and we talked to Pres. King about it. "

"On Friday, I had divisions with Elder Steinagle.  He is so cool!  He is super young, even though he is about to go home soon.  His parents are mission presidents in Ukraine and he lived there a year before his mission.  It was fun to hang out with him and we taught a lot of really good lessons.  It reminded me about how things work when both companions are in complete unity.  Elder B and I are getting better.  We both teach, but our styles are so different that it can be hard to mesh sometimes.  He is very math and I am very English.  That's what he says anyways, but our lessons are becoming more powerful. "

"This week we had a lot of little kids throw rocks at us.  It sucked!  Luckily, I am a little faster and quicker than Elder B, so he ends up getting hit more than I do.  It's kind of funny because I am like,  " run!!  "  ha ha  Elder B kind of walks and tries to dodge or catch the rocks.  The kids here are intense.  Ten year olds are already hardened and there are pregnant girls younger than 15.  This sector is really rough!   The city is different from the coast in that the people are different.  It is harder to enter a home because a lot of people already know who we are and have heard crazy stories about us.  The members seem to be more willing to work and make a difference.  It's not as laid back as the coast.  More people are home during the day which makes it easier to find investigators.  The dogs aren't as bad, but the sector is super ghetto and we have to be more careful. "

"I don't really eat a lot.  I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm just not hungry at night anymore.  I think I have adjusted to the schedule.  All the Elders think I'm weird because I always have a lot of food, but just don't eat it.  I have really liked Cinnamon Life cereal though, so I eat a lot of that.  Today the pension is going to make sushi!  I hope we don't get sick! ha ha  I guess Elder Oyarzun knows how to make it.  My pension is fun.  I do have to have my own clean space or else I would go insane!  Elder Balling and I are actually getting along alright.  I think we are use to each other now. "

"President King told me in an email that this would be a time for me to grow.  It's true.  The Lord needs to teach me a lot, because I am far from perfect.  However, I do know that he is accepting my efforts and encouraging me to push myself farther.  Truly, it is only by the love of my Heavenly Father that brings me the deep comfort that I need sometimes.  He answers me through others and sometimes just by a feeling.  The good thing is I can usually see when he answers my prayers and that helps to strengthen my testimony. "

Well, I gotta go.  We couldn't play soccer today because of Elder B's wrist.  I am sad because I am really going to miss Elder DeLong.  He is a good friend.  Enjoy the pics and I will talk to ya next week!  "

Elder Dallon Smith

Elder Smith sitting on top of the world!

Elders Balling and Smith

 Elders Smart and Smith's missionary swagger

Homemade cookies are from heaven!