Monday, March 7, 2011

Just a Pile of Rocks

We had a little trouble with our emails this week.  The server was having a hard time sending them with attached pictures.  Dallon was only able to send one out of four pictures.  He is looking so tan!  Right before he signed off, he sent a quick note that said Elder Kenison had just walked in the cafe. They had met last week on divisions in Santiago.  He was visiting his past sectors prior to returning home in one week.  Dallon was surprised and excited to see him again and expressed his appreciation for having the opportunity to meet and get to know Elder Kenison. 

"This week I realized just how much we have to be grateful for.  We were teaching a family and the Mom just straight up told us that she didn't believe in God anymore and that the Lord had forgotten them.  It was truly hard because there was really nothing more that we could say or do to help them.  We did our best and said what the Lord would have us say, which is that we must first obey the commandments to receive the blessings.  We taught a lot about faith.  I actually ended up teaching myself more about faith.  All the kids were crying and it was so sad that they were in the situation that they were because of the decisions of their parents.  In the middle of the lesson, the Mom got up and blatantly smoked right in front of us, even though she had been trying to work on the Word of Wisdom.  They are the poorest people I know and yet have a lot of pride.  They complain that they have no food and get mad at the Bishop when he suggests they sell something, so that they could have money to buy food.  They won't do it and will waste money on things like cigarettes.  I saw their son sitting on the bed just looking up at the ceiling.  He had already suggested to his Mom that they sell some things, but she just got mad at him and said it was stupid.  She said, "Don't you know how much those things cost me!"  As I was watching the boy, I couldn't help but think about what he must have been thinking about.  He couldn't change his situation and he was just looking up at the ceiling full of holes and flies.  I wish I could have saved him.  I wish I could have helped him in some way, but there was truly nothing I could do except leave them with a prayer.  I prayed in the home and the spirit was strong.  It made me think of all the blessings that I have.  I shouldn't doubt or feel insecure about myself.  I have been given every blessing and opportunity in the world.  How could I possibly think that anything in my life is hard?"

"We have started to teach a family that we helped build their home.  They are really nice and super poor but they are really fun and I like them a lot.  The other day we were teaching and Elder Opazo tried to kill a huge spider.  It fell down, so he was trying to find it and the mother was like, "There it is!", and Elder Opazo jumped so high! ha ha  It was so funny, especially since he is always putting on the "nothing scares me" attitude.  When Elder Opazo was trying to be spiritual and invite the family to read the Book of Mormon to know that it was true; they just couldn't stop laughing.  I couldn't stop laughing either.  It was great.  I am praying that they will progress and accept the gospel."

"We are also teaching a really old Grandma.  She came to church with us yesterday and I love her!  She is so funny and says everything like how it is.  She has my sense of humor and is the most loving Grandma ever!  I think I might adopt her as my Spanish Grandma! ha ha  She basically told us after Sacrament meeting that this might be the church she has been looking for.  She lives by herself and has to walk with a cane.  She works all day until nine except on Sundays.  We always have to teach her really late, but I think she is really grateful that we are always there to greet her, give her company, and teach her.  Now all she has to do is read the Book of Mormon.  I hope that she joins the church.  She already has the countenance of a member.  When I am with her I miss all my Grandmas.  Tell them that I love them."

"What was absolutely incredible this week was Guillermo came and taught lessons with us!  He bore his testimony and I was sitting there thinking...Wow, what a pay day.  One month ago we were teaching Guillermo the same things and now here he is testifying of the truth along side us.  With Guillermo, we also taught another lady who doesn't believe that there is a God and is really hard.  We have been trying to get in her house for the last three changes and finally we have!  Guillermo thought it was sad that she didn't believe, but she is starting to progress."

"We had our first English class and unfortunately only one person showed up. ha ha  It was actually really good and we got to show her the chapel and everything, so it all worked out.  It was definitely a full week and it was good.  I loved being here and learning so much this past week.  I have been so grateful to the Lord.  He has taught me so much and shown me his love and my faith is definitely getting stronger.  I was reading through some of my past notes to help inspire and remind me, and I came across a talk by Sister Breinholt at the MTC.  She was one of my favorite speakers.  She gave a talk about missionaries and their connection to the Brother of Jared.  The Lord commanded him to first find a way to solve his problem or at least do his best to try to find a way, and then the Lord would help him and make up for the rest.  This is the part that I love.  The Brother of Jared's best was just a pile of rocks.  Sometimes we feel like our best is just a pile of rocks, but when the Lord touches those rocks, they become something truly remarkable.  This changed everything for me.  I felt like my best was just a pile of rocks and that the Lord would compare my best against the best of someone else.  However, that is not how the Lord works.  Even when we feel that we are just a pile of rocks, he can make us shine and make us all that he wants us to be.  I let myself accept my best.  I was able to teach a lesson all by myself for district meeting and I have been communicating a lot more.  I just realize that I should be more grateful for just how much I can say and understand.  I almost understand everything and I can basically express everything that I want to.  I'll get more fluent with time, but WOW, what an answer to my prayer.  The ward then asked me, on the spot, to give the opening prayer in sacrament meeting.  I know the Lord is building me.  He takes care of me.  I love the story called, "The Living Cottage", by C.S. Lewis.  It talks about how the Lord comes in to us and starts to rebuild us.  He first starts with fixing the leaks and drains.  Then he starts to really get to work and throws down walls and builds towers and makes courtyards.  We think we are going to be a cottage, but the Lord is building a palace.  This story is so true.  The Lord makes us remarkable."

"I got a letter from my "Aunt Debbie (Richards)" ha ha  It was so sweet and she is such a nice lady.  I am so grateful for such a supportive ward family.  Transfers are next week, so I think I will be leaving Elder Opazo.  Pray for me that I will get a good companion.  I'll miss it here, but I am ready to go and find more people to love.  We'll see what happens and I should be able to tell you everything next Monday about where I will be and all that jazz.  Elder Opazo has been a great companion and we are a good team."

"Anyways I love you all and am grateful for the examples that you are to me.  I wouldn't be me without you."

Elder Dallon Smith

Elders Kenison & Smith

Carlos & Rosa's Family