Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

Dallon shared that it was another long week of trying to find new investigators.  They've also been spending a lot of time helping to reactivate current members.  He says that sometimes the ward is so close knit and comfortable with the way things are, that it isolates others from feeling accepted and included.  They experienced a huge thunder storm and a couple earthquakes this week, but  they are well and the work continues.  He wished everyone a Happy Valentine's Day from sunny and very hot Chile!

"Holy smokes!  We did have another earthquake this week!  We were right in the middle of teaching a lesson to a new investigator, and she looks up and says, "Is it just me or are we moving?"  All of a sudden we realize that we were swaying back and forth and it was getting stronger and stronger.  It felt like we were on a boat swaying side to side.  All the pictures in the house were all swinging and it was crazy.  Strangely people here are accustomed to this.  Elder Opazo looks up and casually says, "hmmmm, it's just a tremor."  Then we went right on teaching the lesson. ha ha  It was funny.  It didn't scare us as all.  After the appointment, I told Elder Opazo that I really think that the lesson shook her world! ha ha  The earthquake lasted about a minute and a half, so it was kind of fun.  Elder Opazo's family is in Concepcion and he told me not to worry about them because he felt peace in his heart and knew that they were ok.  He has perfect faith in the promise of the Lord that our families will be protected.  We are making our emergency kits today.  I definitely want to be prepared.  I feel like there might be an earthquake soon after having two tremors so close together."

"This was another long week because we are searching for people who are ready to hear the gospel.  It was soooo hot!  Elder Opazo is doing great as District Leader and he had to do some baptism interviews this week, so I spent a lot of time with Elders Maldonado and Callis.  It was fun to hang out with them.  They both are going home this week.  After talking with them, I know that time is going to just slip by, so I want to make every minute count here.  Pray for me and my sector.  We have activated two inactive families this week.  It's interesting how people can change so fast.  It will go from being totally awkward where the family doesn't want to let us in and then, the next week, they are like in love with us and trying to do nice things for us.  I think of mom's advice to me every day because I love it..."It's not about the baptisms you get, it's about how many lives you touch."   I have been trying to live by that advice and do the best I can for everyone."

"We had a really fun ward activity.  It was ward home evening night!  The whole ward was there and we played a type of charades family feud game.  It was so funny and was a blast to watch everyone let loose and just have fun. ha ha  I didn't really want to participate because I didn't know Spanish that well and couldn't understand a few of the questions.  But the whole ward started chanting Elder Esmit!, Elder Esmit!, so I was obligated to play.  Luckily, I picked number 12 which was a charade, so I had to make everyone guess "Lion King".  It was so embarrassing, but a lot of fun too.  I was laughing so hard.  I love ward activities.  One of the ward members came up to me and was excited to have me eat the cookies that were made for refreshments. ha ha  Their cookies are like cake with fruit piled on top.  I acted pleased and ended up having to eat five of those dang cookies before they'd let me stop. ha ha"

"This week a member made me a whole bunch of seafood.  It was delicious!  I am also sending a picture of me and Elder Opazo helping make pastel de choclo.  I have eaten it so much this time of year.  They eat a lot of corn here and they eat it mostly with sugar.  It sounds weird but it is actually really good!  In the picture, we are grinding the corn."

"All my brother and sisters.  I hope you know how much I love ya.  You are all so cool and I am lucky to have you in my life.  I hope that you will continue to serve those around you and that you will never be afraid to give all of yourself to the Lord.  He will use you in ways that you never knew he would.  There's so many people that don't have the blessings that we have.  Family is the most important thing in our lives.  It is central in God's plan for us.  I hope you never hide your talents and that you are enjoying every moment of your lives right now.  I like the quote that says..."As we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people the opportunity to do the same.  As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others."  Never be afraid to share the light, or knowledge, the Lord gave us.  You can help the missionaries with your friends and be a part of miracles too."

"Have a great Valentine's Day for me...and no kissing!  That goes for all of you!"

Elder Dallon Smith

Grinding corn for pastel de choclo

Antonia sharing a sucker with Elder Smith

The Zone