Monday, January 3, 2011

Rocking in the New Year!

Although the New Year in Chile started off with a 7.1 magnitude earthquake, Dallon is doing well and prospering.  He said he didn't even feel it this time.  The epicenter was way south about 300 miles from his present location.  He was excited to finally receive his packages from family and friends.  President and Sister King was there when he got them and they laughed and teased him about how loved he was.  We also received an email from Elder Opazo which was a special treat for us.  He expressed his love for Elder Smith and told us how, although he is the trainer, he has learned so much about the importance of living the gospel and feeling the spirit from his companion.  He says that his mission has been the best time of his life.  We are so grateful for Elder Opazo.  Sounds like the Elders are off to a great start.

"The New Year here was so much fun!  We got to eat with the family Vejar.  They fed us bbq ribs, chicken and roast! ha ha  It was a little piece of heaven!  They made so much that they invited us over the next day for leftovers.  It was the best!  I really love their family.  We had to go back to our pension by 11:00pm so that no crazies would attack us with kisses or drunks...I'm not quite sure.  Elder Opazo and I broke the rules a little and stayed up until midnight just to watch the fireworks through our window. ha ha  It was fun and we made a quick video but the fireworks were so far away.  We loved it anyways."

"This week was about buckling down again and getting to work.  We had a few little miracles like finding inactive families that we have been looking for for the past month.  We also were able to get into a bunch of homes by wishing them a happy new year and asking if we could come in and offer a prayer to bless their home.  That was my idea and it worked really well.  Another idea I had was to make a schedule for the brethren in the ward Elder's quorum to come work with us as missionaries.  The new Bishop loved it and had everyone sign up.  We need to have members come teach lessons with us in order for them to count, so now next week we will have a member of the Elder's quorum with us almost every day!  Those two ideas made me really happy this week and I am so excited to work. ha ha  It's funny that those types of things make me happy.  I'm truly turning into a missionary!"

"One experience I had this week was with an older couple.  We have been teaching them a lot, especially about charity and I think it has been helping them.  I have never felt like what I say actually mattered to someone as much as it does now.  That is one cool thing about having the office of an Elder.  You can act in the Lord's name and truly help to better someones life.  We had just finished teaching a lesson to them and they gave Elder Opazo and I each a present. ha ha  They were so funny.  I got a Chilean flag that played the national anthem and Elder Opazo got shampoo.  But then the couple looked at us and asked if I would baptize them.  I felt so humbled and couldn't believe that they wanted me to do it.  We have gotten really close and I was honored to be asked.  We are going to try to convince them to be baptized by someone in the ward because it helps with fellowshipping, but I thought it was so cool."

"Another experience I had was awesome in a different way.  We were teaching a family and all of a sudden out of nowhere the ex boyfriend comes in.  They started full on fighting right in the middle of the lesson.  He came in because he wanted to take the tv, but the mom wouldn't let him because it's the only thing that keeps the kids occupied.  It was a little intense and the man kept pushing her a little.  The whole time I am thinking what are we going to do if things get crazy?  Oh man, it was insane!  Eventually he left and said that he would come back on Monday with the police.  The mom went into the back room and started sobbing.  It was so sad.  The family is so poor and has such a hard life.  I wish there was something more I could do to help them.  She soon came back out and we taught her a lot that really helped her.  We taught her that God has a plan for everyone to return to him and that we should be grateful for the things that we do have.  We told her that we are never alone and that God and his angels are always around us.  I shared that scripture D&C 84:88, about angels bearing us up from the card that you sent me.  Thanks mom.  She really felt comforted.  I love when I feel like we truly make a difference in peoples lives."

"I'm sending some pictures of the family that we spent Christmas with.  We were fed bbq with an assortment of meat.  It was so fun to be with them and I ate so much!  We stayed over at Elder DeLong and Thomas's apartment.  We all opened presents together and then played games until late.  It was a great Christmas.  One of the pictures is a little boy that I bought a blow up giraffe for. ha ha  It was for a white elephant game but he loved it.  I love this family.  They are so kind and truly are example members."

"So everything is good with me.  I loved the card you sent with my package.  I'd like to think that angels are around me and my family all the time.  The Lord has a plan for us and all we have to do is have faith and everything is going to work out in the best way for us.  Here are some of my New Year's resolutions...1- Find a way to enjoy every day of my mission, 2- Truly become a sharp tool in the Lord's hands that can bring many to salvation, 3- Learn Spanish, 4- Try my best to improve daily, 5- Be grateful for all that I have and count my blessings.  Develop an attitude of gratitude!  There is so much more that I would like to do, but I'll just start with these five for now. ha ha  Ok have a good week and know that you are always with me.  Les amo mucho!"

Elder Dallon Smith

Christmas Eve

Elders Opazo, Smith, DeLong, and Thomas being good...

...same Elders being goofy!




A Chilean Bar-b-que

Good company
 

A missionary Christmas sleepover

The Chile Santiago West Mission