Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Week 2 in Barrancas

Dallon had a little cold this week.  Luckily it didn't last too long and he is grateful to be able to breath normally again.  He still hasn't received any letters from Dear Elder or pouch.  Hopefully he will get some on Wednesday when the district leaders visit.  He says to mail everything to the mission office address.  It costs $.98 to mail a regular airmail letter to him and takes about 7-10 days.  This is easier for him to read at his leisure and he can write back during his free time.  He had an interesting and full week that he shared with us and also sent some fun pictures.

"This week was full of dropped appointments and disappointments.  We did a lot of walking and my knees are sore, but it was cool because the whole time I'm thinking...Wow, I'm a missionary! ha ha  Finding contacts isn't the funnest thing to do, but I kind of like it because I know what I need to say in Spanish.  When we are teaching lessons, I sometimes want to say something, but I just don't know how.  I feel bad that I can't help Elder Opaso more.  I hope the Spanish will come quickly and that I will be fluent soon."

"We also met two little boys that want to get baptized.  They are both around 12 years old and are such an example to me in many ways.  One boy just knows that it is right and wants to be baptized even though his Dad isn't a member.  He is super receptive and already has a testimony.  His name is Diego and he is awesome.  The other boy is Nicholas.  He is handicapped and uses sign language.  We talk to him while his Mom translates.  He can't say much but he signs with his hands that he wants to be baptized in the Mormon church and not Catholic.  It's amazing.  It truly touches my heart to see a poor family with struggles have the gospel penetrate their hearts.  I can't really explain it.  It is a cool experience to meet people who actually want to be baptized.  I think in Utah we get use to going on to the next step; like when we turn 8, we get baptized.  These people gain strong testimonies before and then choose for themselves to be baptized."

"In church yesterday, I met a lady from Payson, Utah that was here visiting her family.  It was fun to speak English with her and talk about home.  I also played the prelude music for Sacrament meeting.  I'm practicing so that I can start playing during the main meeting.  I got a little disappointed because I really couldn't understand the talks.  I know a member of the high council mentioned me in his talk.  I'm not sure what he said but I think it was good! ha ha  Then in Elder's quorum the teacher used me as an example of the gift of tongues.  It makes me feel good that even though I can't speak the language, I am still affecting people.  It makes the everyday of struggling to learn, worth it."

"I have had a lot of cool experiences, but for the most part, I just realized how hard missionary work truly is.  These are real people with real problems.  I wish I could express to them every feeling in my heart.  I know I am affecting lives but I can hardly speak the language.  Everyone is always surprised at how much I can say, but at the same time, I probably only catch about 35% of what they are talking about.  People say that Chile has the fastest speakers in the world.  If only they would slow down a little for me! ha ha"

"Well I got bit by my first dog this week!  We were contacting and had just found and made an appointment with a really nice lady.  We backed away to go around a fence and Elder Opaso tripped over a dog.  The dog got really mad and started barking like crazy.  The whole time I'm thinking...Ooooh shooot, Elder Opaso is gonna get it!!  All of a sudden, this crazy dog attacks me!  Then his whole gang of two other black dogs came out of nowhere and got me from behind.  One of the dogs bit me on the calf!  My luck that Elder Opaso would make a dog mad and I'm the one that gets punished! ha ha  Well, we made a swift escape and the bite wasn't bad.  It didn't even bleed.  It hurt though! ha ha"

"We got to go to Santiago for a "Greenie" meeting.  It was a blast!  I got to ride the Metro for the first time and went to see the University in Santiago.  I met up with all of my "Greenie" friends and spoke English again! ha ha  It was fun.  We all had a blast together and I realized how grateful I am to have Elder Opaso as my companion.  A lot of the other missionaries are truly struggling with their first area and companions.  It made me realize how easy I have it and how blessed I've been.  The Lord is really taking care of me and I am so grateful that I am here.  The only problem Elder Opaso and I have is that we get in arguments over the dumbest things; like whether or not the word "plasted" exists in the English language or if one door is larger than another! ha ha  It's alright and it really is the least of my worries."  The Metro was an experience that I will never forget.  It's an underground subway and there are billions of people cramming into these super long trains.  Anyways at the "Greenie" meeting we got to eat pizza!  I don't think I've eaten that much pizza in my life!  It was good! ha ha  I met a lot of my friends and we had a great time just talking about our first week in the mission."

"The food here basically consists of chicken, rice, vegetables, soups, etc.  Not too flavorful, but I did have jello with condensed milk that was delicious!  I get to see the ocean everyday!  It's really cool when it mists.  The weather is so strange.  It will be really hot outside, but the wind is super cold, so it is a weird experience.  It's like cold hot. ha ha  I'm not too use to it yet.  We are going shopping today so, hopefully, I can buy some super delicious groceries!  I haven't used any of my own money yet, but I just might...because I get a little hungry out here at night. ha ha  We are also going to the beach, so I will be sure to take some fun pictures to send home."

"It's good to know that you are all doing well.  You are in my prayers every day.  I love and miss you all!  I hope you enjoy the pictures.  I only have time to send a few."

Elder Dallon Smith

Elder Opaso, President and Sister King, Elder Smith


The port city of Barrancas, Chile


On the bus with Elder Opaso and Elder Smith


The name says it all!