Wednesday, October 13, 2010

MTC Week 5

Well, Dallon is over the half way point at the MTC.  He will be leaving for Chile on November 9th.  He tells us that Elder Matt Ross and Elder Mark Hanni will be leaving to their missions tomorrow, October 13th.  He had an eventful week and was just made a zone leader.

"On Sunday, Elder Peterson and I were called as zone leaders.  I was surprised because we had a meeting with the branch president and thought that it was about Elder Peterson getting released as a district leader.  Instead, low and behold, we were called as zone leaders!  President Hollister and President Dennis said that we were natural leaders and that the Lord had great plans for us.  It's been fun because we are over the biggest zone in the MTC, so we get to know a lot of elders that come through here.  Unfortunately, it does take a lot of time.  We are in charge of all the districts and orientating all the new elders.  We have responsibilities that we have to do every day, but I think it will be worth it.  I need all the blessings I can get with this language!"

"My Spanish is improving day by day, slowly but surely.  I finally feel like I can express myself.  I still have a lot of work to do and it is coming along.  I know that I will be fine but I want to learn everything now so that I can be an effective missionary faster.  It is frustrating because I have so much that I want to share, but can hardly find the words to say it in Spanish.  I know the Lord is blessing me and I am only saying what he needs me to say right now.  If the Lord needs me to be able to bare my testimony in Spanish to someone, then he will provide a way for me to do it.  Speaking Spanish is fun but it's also tough.  I just want to know it and not have to work so hard for it! ha ha  But hey.., faith without works is dead, right?"

"This has been a fun week because I've been able to play the piano a lot.  Me and three other missionaries in my district have prepared an acapella version of  "Lead Kindly Light" to sing at firesides.  We have an audition on Thursday, so wish us luck!  It is so awesome!  I love music.  In regards to your question about whether the gospel speaks the same way to me as music...OF COURSE!  The music is only a vessel in which I can feel the spirit strongly.  The gospel is what truly makes me happy.  The gospel is truly amazing!  I don't know where I would be without it.  I know this just sounds like missionary talk, but I want you all back home to know that this work is important to me and that you are all important to me."

"This week  I had an experience where I followed a spiritual prompting that I thought was so strange.  I was told to write a quick note to an elder about how he was a good example and that he was going to be such a great missionary.  I was thinking the whole time that this is so weird.  Why would I randomly write a sentimental note to someone?  But something inside me told me that I just needed to do it.  I hurried and wrote one in Spanish.  It was really short; probably about 5 to 6 sentences.  Anyways, he was reading his scriptures so I just went and put it on his desk and then went back to mine.  Man, it was so awkward!  I didn't know why I did it.  Then I saw him read the note and he just started to cry.  Later he came to see me and told me that what I wrote on the note was an answer to his prayer.  He said that he was reading a scripture and was asking himself a personal question when I gave him the note.  I thought it was so cool and I was glad that I followed the prompting.  It just feels good because I don't have to know Spanish real well or be some heroic missionary in order for the Lord to use me as a tool to help others.  It's nice to know that you can help make a small difference in another person's life."

"I love it here!  I have made so many friends.  It's funny because everyone wants to get to know me because I am really good at volleyball and foursquare. ha ha  Gym is by far one of the funnest things in my day.  The MTC food is still pretty good, surprisingly.  Though I do miss my momma's cookin!  I use sauces to mask the flavor all the time.  I love using Chilula sauce on everything!  It's delicious!  MMMMmmmmm! ha ha  Classes are still really long.  We have two classes a day that are around four to five hours long.  It makes for a long day and we are all crammed into such a small room.  We all love eating because we get to escape from "school on steroids"!  The other part of the day we have five hours of personal directed study.  This is where you have to decide what you need help with and then motivate yourself to work on it.  Some days it is hard to know what to do and others it's like you don't have enough time to do everything that you want to."

Well, I'm outta time.  Man, I miss you all so much and pray for you every night.  I love you all and thanks for everything that you do for me!  Talk to you soon."

Love, Elder Dallon Smith