Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MTC Week 3

This week's email was a lot of Dallon being reflective.  It appears that things have settled into a routine and not much is new to share.  He says the weeks fly by and before he even realizes, it is p-day again.

"Hey, can you believe that I have officially been in the MTC for as long as Dad was!  Not going to lie, but I am a little envious to think that he got to leave for his mission about now.  Well, this week has been really fun and eventful but it still consists of the same roller coaster emotions that you go through. The good news is we got through our first TRC lesson in Spanish.  It was really cool.  I don't think our Spanish is all that great but the investigators got the jist of what we were talking about.  We taught a family from Argentina, so that was cool.  We have some good times here even though it is one of the most stressful environments that I have ever been in.  Spanish does get on my nerves almost every day.  I always just have to remember that I can only speak what the Lord would have me say and if I do my best, that is all he asks of me."

Dallon shares a visit with a counselor from his Branch Presidency.

"Elder Peterson and I had a meeting with  Brother Hollister this week.  He told us a lot of cool things like how we both have stood out as leaders and that among every group the leaders are always evident.  He said that Elder Peterson had some good leadership qualities, but then focused on me and said that the branch presidency had noticed my good attitude and happy countenance.  They said that I lit up the room and promised that I would do amazing things on my mission.  I was so grateful for what Brother Hollister told me.  I feel that it was an answer to my prayer this week."

He gives us an update on other missionaries.

"This week we had a few districts leave and our roommates moved out to Mexico.  They were a hoot!  You'll see them in my videos I'm going to send home.  I also see Elder Matt Ross everyday at choir practice.  It is definitely the highlight of my day!  Just he and I hanging out like the good old choir days.  He leaves in two weeks and Elder Nate Monson left or is leaving today I think.  Elder Jake Roper still comes by to visit sometimes.  He's been fun to have around.  I think we all just like having familiar people around us.  I hardly see Elder Mark Hanni or Dillon Hill, but I'm trying to get a hold of them to get their testimonies before they leave!"

"I have met so many amazing people here at the MTC.  I am close to all the Elders in my district and have already had a couple sister missionaries ask for my address.  So... if you get any mail for me at home be sure to tell me! ha ha  I also have met an Elder here that is going to the same mission as Elder Ben Brockbank (Baton Rouge, Louisiana).  I was glad to be able to talk to him for awhile.  Both these Elders are truly remarkable people and there is so much I wish I could learn from them.  There are many awesome people here.  It pushes me to want to be better every day.  I'm thankful for that."

We asked what his p-days were like?

"Thanks for the socks!  I don't know why but I just started running low.  I am also fine with wearing church clothes every day.  It doesn't bother me a bit.  I am always comfortable and I never have to decide what to wear. ha ha  It's the best!  P-days are definitely the most stressful!  We are running around doing a thousand different things and it feels like there is never enough time, especially since p-day ends at 6:00pm.  It is not my favorite day.  I will send you a copy of my schedule so you can see how absolutely packed it is!  We never have to decide what to do because every minute is planned out.  Today I have to get a haircut because it's required to be in the conference choir.  I might look crazy but at least I'll be there!  I am really excited!  Being a part of this choir is such a blessing.  I hope you are able to see me.  I don't know exactly where I will be, but I'll definitely be looking up at the middle of the balcony!" 

Dallon's final comment.

"All in all, everything is fine!  I think about you often and about the love that Heavenly Father has for all of us.  We are so lucky to have the life that we do.  I have had it reaffirmed to me over and over.  I am so proud of everyone!  Love you all and have a great week!"

Con mucho amor, Elder Dallon Smith