Tuesday, September 14, 2010

MTC Week 1

We were absolutely thrilled to finally receive Dallon's first email today.  We can tell that he has already grown so much.  He says he loves the MTC and began telling us that he wasn't able to receive any mail for a while due to his being reassigned from beginning to intermediate Spanish class.  A sister from the MTC called our home the day before Dallon left and gave him a Spanish language test over the phone.  It sounds like they group the Spanish speaking missionaries according to their fluency with the language.  It changed his room assignment, district, companion, and mailbox number.  It took awhile to get it all figured out and so he wasn't receiving the mail that was sent to his old mailbox.  He tells us a little about his experience with the language.

"My Spanish has truly improved so much in the last six days.  The Lord has blessed me so much with speaking Spanish and helping me to be the best missionary I can be.  This first week was really hard and we have already had two missionaries in my district leave for home.  I was glad that I came for the right reasons and that I can truly do anything that the Lord would have me do.  I already feel like I have learned so much!  I have seen the gift of tongues working in my life this week.  It's nice to know that with the Lord all things are possible."

He talked about his companion and district group.

"As you know my my companion's name is Elder Peterson.  He is a really nice guy and we get along great.  We're not best friends or anything but we never fight and can put up with eachother.  He is always serious and I am happy and social, but he has an awesome testimony and can speak the language better than I can.  He's been helping me out.  I absolutely love my district.  I have made so many friends.  The elders in my district are Elders Carter, Hill, Jalatty, Mortensen, Birch, Cummock, and Hermanas Aquino, Lockwood, and Coleman.  We all have a blast when we are together.  Out of all the elders, only Elder Birch, Cummock and I are going to the Santiago West Mission.  Lots are going stateside Spanish speaking.  And of course, most of them have taken Spanish for five or six years.  I can hardly believe I am in their class but I know that I'm going to learn this language really fast and be able to communicate just as well or better than them.  There was a point when I had to decide whether I was going to do the hard thing and just stay in my intermediate Spanish class or give in and try to get into the beginning class.  I prayed a lot and I'm glad that I chose to do the hard thing.  I'm glad that I was able to get through my trial of faith and just stay committed, but it's going to be a long road ahead."

In our letters we asked him to tell us a little about his surroundings. 

I have seen everyone!  I see them all the time actually and talk to them a lot!  Oh and just to clarify, Elder Ashby isn't in my room, he just comes and visits me.  It was so nice to have him just come over and talk.  He is the best but he left for Argentina yesterday.  Elder Ross also leaves his residence hall to come visit, along with one of my good friends from high school, Elder Phil Lecheminant.  I also talk a lot to Elder Jake Roper because he studies Spanish in the same building as me.  Tell LuAnn I gave Dillon a huge hug for her and Mark's mom that Mark looks really good and super healthy.  Anyways all in all, it has been a huge blessing in my life to have brothers with me here."

"Of course I don't have the bottom bunk... I have the top, ha ha, but it's because I actually wanted the top bunk because it has a shelf and right when you walk in the door, you don't walk onto the bed.  That's been nice and thank heavens we do have private showers! ha ha  The food here is also pretty good.  I feel like I eat better here then I do at home!  It's nice to have a whole bunch of options to eat.  We always sit as a district.  It's been fun to have such a united district."

We wanted to know if he ever got homesick?

"I love receiving all of your letters.  They are nice to have when I'm about to go to bed.  The only time I get homesick is when I read your letters.  Elder Peterson thinks that I am really popular!  But I truly love hearing about what's going on at home and I'm grateful for all of your support.  I know that this is where I am suppose to be.  It is such a comforting feeling.  I know that this church is true and that if we are obedient and harken to what the Lord wants, we will be able to achieve the impossible.  I am so grateful that I have the family I do and has prepared me so well for this experience.  Thank you so much.  I love you."

He shared this in closing.

I had a couple interviews with my branch president and 1st counselor and they gave me some of the best encouragement and support that I could have asked for.  I have also been complimented many times for having a great positive attitude, beautiful smile (ha ha), and having a light in my eyes.  It's nice to hear those type of things.  Oh and I had to get a flu shot which sucked!


Alright well my times almost up but I just want you to know that I love you so much and that you are always in my prayers.  Know that I am happy and that everything is going to work out.  


Love you all!  Hasta Luego!  Elder Dallon Smith